LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a set of pacesetters earlier this year when they were in very short supply. I shipped them directly off for vband flange weld and specialty powdercoat. When they came back to me, I noticed weld burnouts in two bolt holes and horrible warp on RH flange and a smaller warp on the LH and the headers collided with RH motor mount bracket. The company that rhymes with 'legs' sent me a replacement set over a week later that was even worse. Horrible warp, same clearance issue, heavy tooling damage, paint on packing materials, no paperwork, packing divider missing, etc. I believe the replacement was someone elses returned item sent 'round robin' to me. 'Legs' told me that they could send me a third replacement in about a month or a gift certificate in lieu of a refund. They tried. I would have prefered a refund but whatever. I ordered the Summit house brand for 4th gen F bodies, which is the same pacesetter headers. SAME PROBLEMS! The rock stars at Summit however assured me an inspected set to replace the old set. In less than 24 hours I received a replacement set from 1800 miles away! The replacement from Summit was not warped! It did have clearance issues with the RH motor mount bracket which I worked around by heating the collision point and beating a rod into the primary while bolted to a spare head to avoid warpage. I am going to preemtively dent the primary tube that will likely hit the steering knuckle and then flat the flanges on my belt grinder to get them near flat and grind some of the ugly off a couple welds on the primaries where they are slip fit. Next I will have flanges welded on and get them dipped.

I really like Pacesetters headers for 4th gens. They usually go right in without clearance issues and flat flanges. Its the 2021 production run that is giving them problems. Like many American companies, they are really understaffed during the plandemic. The customer service at Pacesetter is great and they were pretty frank about their production shortage. The last replacement set I received from Summit were straight and the inner flange welds at the ports were beautiful and look like they flow great. I feel like they will have it ironed out soon and I will continue to buy their products in the future. I commend Summit on exceptional service and response and Pacesetter for working through their issues.

with that said, when I dented the RH primary tube for mount clearance, I went a little too far... maybe a lot too far. I have been told that header tubes can be beat to hell before you see a performance drop so I have my fangerz crossed... First and second photos are from the second returned set. the last two show final RH header with clearance dent.

Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle frame Wheel Automotive mirror Wood Automotive exterior Tree Bumper Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Rim

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldnt worry about denting the headers too much. I saw some testing where they mangled a set of headers, far beyond what would ever be required for an install. At worst, they lost 1, maybe 2 horses. Cant wait to hear how it sounds.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just flattened the flanges and ground off the mandrel scrapes. I hope it clears the steering column knuckles and bolts. Off for vband and powder monday. They double outer coat and inner coat at Finishline Coatings in Oregon City. Should be a runner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have Pacesetters on my 95, they cause the knock sensor to go nuts when I do burnouts. Tried an LT4 knock sensor module and it still does it. ECM is set to 4,000 knocks before retarding the timing.

Al in Tucson

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tubes rattle against each other. Im going to tack weld them to prevent that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts