LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into headers for my car and i need a bit of advice. Should i go with mid tubes of long tubes. How much harder are long tubes to install and what make should i go with. Also, how is the sound of the car with mid tubes or long tubes. I appreciate any help i can get-thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got Dynatech longtube headers on my 95 Trans Am. The headers themselves weren't to bad to put on but it was getting the old exhust off that was the pain. You just need alot of patience when you do it, just stick worth it because its worth it. As far as the sound, they sound great. I would say just go with a good long tube.

·
Registered
79 Posts
ls1 or lt1?
ls1 only get good gain from LTs cause the stock manifolds flow well. LT1 you can go any of the above.
oh and LT's are a good choice no matter what engine you have

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its an lt1, what is involved with putting long tubes into these cars, because i know with mid tubes you need to pull the engine out. What is involved with putting on the exhause from the headers back w/ long tubes. Would i have to get rid of the catback i have now?

·
Registered
358 Posts
pull the engine to put mid lengths on? first i've heard of this....

you should be able to use your current catback. you will need to get a Y-pipe that will connect it all together

·
Registered
330 Posts
You don't need to pull the motor to put in mids or long tubes. Mids you don't have to do anything special, but with most long tubes, you're going to have to raise one or both sides of the motor to allow the header to slip in.

Something you're going to need to think of is whether or not you have to pass emissions. Mid length headers will have no problems, but long tubes will as they move the catalytic convertor from the factory location.

As for sound, the rest of your exhaust system will play into how it sounds.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a freind that put edelbrock ti techs on his 94 z 28 and in order to get the passenger side header in the had to pull the motor

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does anyone in here have mid tubes, And if so what kind?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I've installed MAC mids on an LS1. It was pretty easy. I've never done mids on an LT1 though, only LT's. Just make sure to get the car up in the air atleast 24". They will slide in from the bottom and you'll have to remove the steering linkage to get the drivers side one in.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
k thanks for the help

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does anyone know what company makes the best fitting headers for lt1s. i heard that pacesetter was good? any advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i just installed PACESETTER LT'S on my 96 , i didnt have to anything but take the steering knuckle loose and drop the starter down. they fit great and you can get to the bolts, i also had slp shorties and still didnt have to pull the engine but they sucked bad as far as plug access and getting on the bolts, pacesetters fit like glove though.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have one of my pacesetters on so far. Seems to fit very well. I have spent about 3 hours on the install so far. Not THAT bad but not fun.

I also have an electric impact and a electric sawza (sp?) so getting the y-pipe off was much easier. Would have been much harder if I didn't have these.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i put lt's pacesetters on my 95 z.. installed from the bottom and it took a little shimmy and shake to get it but all in all fit very well..oh driver side did have to remove to steering linkage

·
Registered
502 Posts
I am having a hell of a time getting the pass side manifold off. To much crap on that side. I gave up for the night. Hopefully my O2 sensor extensions come tomorrow and everything else gets finished.

·
Registered
57 Posts
my first trans am ran w/ Pacesetter LT's and were pretty easy to install, came up through the bottom and just unhooked to steering shaft and all good...now i still swear that the Pacesetter LT, Off-road y-pipe, and SLP LM1 set up is the loudest an nastiest sounding exhuast out there, but it comes down to preferences and emmissions...but if you dont have to worry bout that go with that set-up, its popular for a reason..and im going back to it on my next f-body, but my last one was running flowtech longtubes, catted y-pipe, and borla cat-back, it had nothing on the Pacesetter, ORY, SLP LM1 setup, i didnt install that borla and flowtech setup, but last owner said it was very easy w/ basically nothing having to be removed...

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a loudmouth on my car last week. Yanked that crap off and put a hooker on it. The loudmouth sounded like crap. It would have been worse with the LT's I'm sure. But its all personal preference. Stock y pipe, no cat, and LM2 was way to loud for me.

I'm just having trouble getting the pass side manifold off. The front bolt is almost impossible to get to because of the air hoses and crap. Trying to figure out how I can get something in there to unhook it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i love my loudmouth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts