LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and all, I am an old school mechanic, and do a little bit of everything and I have an 08 Impala SS that blew the head gaskets after I changed the oil pump and ran flush through the coolant system, granted she has 260k miles on her so I wasn't overly surprised. Now I am starting the rebuild and am being my typical OCD self and cleaning every part by hand and nut, bolt and washer as well, .Since I am replacing the heads with new heads that are machined and ported, how critical is it to keep the push rods and lifters in the same position since the head specs have changed somewhat? Just asking some of the real gurus out there?

·
Global Moderator
13,110 Posts
I always put the parts back in the same place they were in. This is because the push rods and lifters have worn into each other in a unique wear pattern. It's best to keep them where they were.

Now having said that, there are people who can throw parts like lifters & push rods in a box. Then can put them back in at random. And have no trouble.

My ocd commands me to do the job correctly. I feel the factory service manual wouldn't give specific part relationship instructions, if they weren't valid.

After all, if factory techs could speed up a job by mixing & matching used parts, they would to make more money in less time.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts