LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yep I got a new project. Its a 93 z28 with an lt1... its automatic. It has a 98 front clip on it, and it needs alot of work. I am new to the lt1 scene, I am an old school sbc guy, but the lt1 is where its at! I have some learning to do, I have been reading alot online, and am planning to order some literature. I found a few books and obviously I need to get a good shop manual such as chiltons. If you guys want to recommend me some good build books Id surely appreciate it.

The motor in this car does run. It seems like it runs pretty ok... The oil pressure doesnt impress me, its probably somewhere around 30 pounds. It has an oil leak, which I cant tell for sure, but Im thinking is the rear main seal. it has the little flywheel cover between the transmission and engine, and there is a little hole in it, and the oil is leaking out of the hole. The motor really does not seem super strong as far as when you step on it. Although im sure that it needs a lot of tuning up I think it could use a rebuild, I need to do some compression tests but I cant decide if I should just yank the motor and transmission and plan on rebuilding both while their out, or If I should just pull the tranny, replace the rear main seal, and then put the tranny back in... and try to tune this girl up. the opti was already replaced, and the spark plugs also are new. I could go through it but I really just dont know the best way to wake this girl up.... Whats yall recommendations?

·
Registered
131 Posts
picked this up at a car show iv seen it on the internet it really helped and tells how you can convert to carb if you chose so welcome to the forums

·
Registered
131 Posts
sorry for the big picture idk how to resize lol if your not sure, try to get it running good before you do too much work its gonna be real hard to tell you what we think if were not there to see the motor run/leak etc. any pictures of the car?

·
Registered
131 Posts
that's the book I posted lol I took it off cause I thought my pic was too big

·
Registered
265 Posts
The oil pressure doesnt impress me, its probably somewhere around 30 pounds.
Yea, always freaks me out to drive the wife's Durango which sits 40-60 psi then I get in Ol' Reliable and sit 20ish at idle and 35ish at 2k rpm.
General rule for these cars is 10psi per 1k rpm and you're fine

·
Registered
107 Posts
From what I understand, if you have oil leaking outta that flywheel cover hole, it tends to be the rear main seal is leaking... And that sounds like average oil pressure for an lt1, mine is just like locruid
And some literature
TPiS, Inc.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
1st year for the LT1 in F body camaro firebirds. 92 1st year for Corvettes.

Interior trim and guages grey and yellow instead of Black and white.

13mm is the most used socket and wrench size for fasteners.

To performance tune have to have a performance chip burned or purchase one. Cannot program the ECU electronic Control unit unless MOATes Ostrich etc.

Speed Density batch fuel injection ODB1. Newer ODB1 and ODB2 have a programmable ECU. Does not use a mass airflow sensor MAF. Cannot use the LT4 antiknock module.

Different T56 manual transmission not rated to as high torque levels as newer 94+ ones also different gear ratios and overdrive ratios.

Gear ratios in differential search for GU2 2.73 GU5 3.23 GU6 3.42 in 93z28 only 2.73 offered with wide ratio t56 manual close ratio manual t56 had the Gu5 3.23 differential.
L460e overdrive autotransmission look for the gu code or mark driveline and tires rotate drive shaft on jackstands one turn and count number of tire rotations. I haven't seen one z28 without the positrac differential which is GM 7.5 10 bolt shared with the S10 truck for rear gears and auto stall converter budget mods.

There were no convertibles in 1993 z28s the closest to a convertible is a true T-Top car very few were made and like mine Less than 633 cars with 6speed t-top in Black and arctic white paint. Only 25 cars Had this paint withTTops and 4-5 with 6 spd. Mine is a 95% original survivor car. Almost every option except Pace Car.

There are fake t top 93 cars on the market mfg from hardtop cars.

Mine was MFG in Canada.

93 only 4.1% had T-tops. 94
35.6%,95 38.9%,96 43.8% 97 43.3% had ttops.

93 Camaro production 39,103; 21253 Coupes, 17850 Z28's.
of these 3340 had roof panels(t-tops).
31,691 had automatic transmissions
Only 7412 had 6spd manual transmissions
Colors
Black and Arctic White 633
Arctic white 1506
Dk Green grey Metallic 4350
Black 9655
Med Pat Red 6903
Bright Red 1136
Purple Pearl 4920

In the 93 Firebirds Trans am AT 4018, 6spd LT1 1103 Ttops 839
Yellow color 90 Yellow w ttops 22
Med Red Metallic Exterior with grey cloth 34 cars.

In 1993 The Z28 was the Pace Car at the Indy 500. There were 633 Pace Car Optioned Z28's that had white wheels and were painted Black on White.

The 93 Z28 stomped Mustangs of the same year and it handled and accelerated better than a Porsche 911 of the same year.

It Keeps up with the solid Cammed High Compression 1970 LT-1 gets better mpg and
much more streetable.

LT-1 vs LT1 article - LS1TECH

GM LT engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Electronic Fuel Injection Mass Flow vs. Speed Density- Car Craft Magazine

Decode 4th Gen Firebird VIN - Trans Am World

Chevy Camaro VIN Decode Third Gen

Chevy Camaro RPO Codes

1993-2002 F-Body RPO code list - Firebird Nation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Camaro_(fourth_generation)

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/General_Motors_transmissions

Reference and Technical information from a board member
http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech1.html

Basic Modification information

WS6.COM LT1 Trans Am

Things that fail often the Opti spark (nonvented) Distributor, Water Pump (leaks in weap hole onto Opti).

Change Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs and Wires. 5W30 Mobile one Full synthetic oil With Napa Wix Oil Filter. Could change to K&N air filter unless Plan to go Cold air intake.

I like the NGK Tr55GP Platinum Plugs, Copper Tr55 or Autolite Equivalent. These are the most difficult plugs to change of any car I've owned.

Jegs LT1 Plug wires best price I've found

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/40215/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Exhaust system is 2.75" Single catbback with 2.25" y pipe.

Coolant Flows in Reverse direction through the heads then the block
allowing the 10.4:1 Compression.

93 Z28 Has 22lb/hr injectors 94-97 use 24lb/hr injectors.

374 are the most common heads they flow 206-212cfm intake side
147-157 Exhaust side.

http://www.nookandtranny.com/Info_LT1.html

http://www.grandsportregistry.com/lt1vslt4.htm

93 Camshaft specifications:
.050" Lift Duration 202I/207E Lift .450I/.460E LSA 116deg

Dowel pin on Camshaft 93z28 is .310 Inch long.

The 93 also had hardened pushrods.

The Fuel injection crossover and pressure regulator is on the passenger rear side and the intake manifold looks different.

The throttle body coolant passage and steam pipe routing is different.

Exhaust manifolds the AIR and EGR different ports and locations.

EGR valve ports different and control solenoids.

Front timing cover and drive system for water pump is different Drive
off timing gear instead of camshaft.

Idle air control valve threads into housing.

Replace 2 coolant temperature sensors, MAP sensor, Intake air temp sensor, Idle Air Control sensor, and Throttle position sensor and ignition control module soon as possible before any Modifications.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Very informated viper! Nice

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I paid 1300 dollars for the car and he threw in some very nice 19 Inch brand new corvette wheels. I'm going to drop the tranny this weekend and fix the rear main seal. I will probably go ahead and put the transmission in the shop and have it gone through and get a shift kit. I reckon I'll order a stall converter while the transmission is out, because i am going to be putting a cam in it. I already was planning on getting the how to rebuild lt1 and was also thinking of buying the how to build performance lt1 engines. Thank you all for your good information. Keep the suggestions coming !

·
Registered
265 Posts
When you do the cam, reserve some money for Valve Springs, the stock ones barely hold their own on stock cam.

Don't forget headers. No sense in doing the cam w/o doing headers (Long tube if you can). The stock headers make great paperweights.........

1.6 roller rockers go well with a cam.

Could also go the Lloyd Elliot route and just straight out replace the heads/cam

Consider a 383 strokker kit when you're rebuilding it.

Not sure what all you wanna do with it and what your goals/budget are

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so I have done alot of reading and thinking today, and am starting to think that my engine is still good enough for my goals, for the time being. I am still planning to do a cam/head upgrade, but not till a good bit after I do some other things. No sense in rushing. Plus Money runs out fast working on these things! Im going to start off by yanking the transmission this weekend. I will replace the rear main seal and I am going to bring the tranny to my transmission mechanic to be gone through, and have a good shift kit installed, and any other upgrades he thinks i may need. While he is doing that, I am going to go ahead and order a stall converter which I found a good 2400 - 2800 for a fair price. This way when I throw it back together I can go ahead and get it in there, so that I dont have to worry about it. I am also planning to upgrade my rear end ring and pinion, I was thinking 3.73 would be a good choice, but from what Ive read it most likely is stock 3.42 or something in that range.... so i was thinking maybe a 4.11, although I realize me gas mileage is going to drop dramatically on the highway, as well as my top speed, but boy will I top out FAST! on the plus side the 4.11 is cheaper. What do yall think is a good gear choice?

On the other end of things I am going to go ahead and order some long tube headers I found and install them, the manifolds gotta go! Im going to replace the spark plugs, change the oil, fuel filter etc. Your basic tune up. The opti is supposdley new but Im going to take a look at it for myself. I also will be ordering the cold air intake this weekend, so she can breath a little. I figure this should be a good start on her. And this will all be in the very near future, starting this weekend. Following these I will be hopefully replacing the heads and the cam, etc. I would like to put the 1.6 roller rockers and such as well. Im considering the le2 package from elliottsportworks.com it has a good price tag on it but from what Ive read it is well worth it. And its really not anymore than any other aftermarket heads, and cam.

what am I missing/overlooking here? what are yalls opinions on these steps im considering? is the 4.11 gear too much for a street ride? All opinions welcome, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so here are a few pictures the car needs a little body work here and there. And definitely some paint... but thats ok because im actually an automotive painter by trade.... just finding a place to spray it is the fun part, Ill do the body work here at home.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Wow...never seen a hood like that. I kinda like it.

Seeing you have an A4 (shift kit/Stall) stock was a 2.73 and an upgradeable option was 3.23. You can look in the glove compartment for a GU5 code IF it hasn't been swapped out before. Also, if you have 1st gear selectable on your console (PRND21) you would have 3.23. I'm sticking with 3.23 myself as I do MOSTLY rural driving with some city and travel once every 6 months about 500 miles. But I've been told 3.73 is the SWEET spot for the A4.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Body is in pretty good shape. Hood is different pin on fiberglass SS style scoop with 3 cowl style scoops on each side. Only body blemish passenger side quarter panel below and behind door latch.

Don't know if they make shift kits for L460es alot of the shift points RPM etc is done through computer programming the ECU instead of the spacer plates and check balls in the older shift kits and weights in the transmission governor.

3.73 work better with the Automatics less ring and pinion failure in the smaller 7.5 10 bolt the older 8.5" 10 bolt and 12 bolt are much stronger.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
yep I got a new project.........The motor in this car does run.......The oil pressure doesnt impress me, its probably somewhere around 30 pounds.......The motor really does not seem super strong as far as when you step on it.........I think it could use a rebuild.......Whats yall recommendations?
........Consider a 383 strokker kit when you're rebuilding it.

Not sure what all you wanna do with it and what your goals/budget are
Budget is always an important consideration. But if your budget is up to task, this 383 is ready to go.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/forum/parts-sale/56812-fresh-rebuilt-forged-lt1-4-383ci-short-block.html

Just somethin' to think about ;) .

KW

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wish I could afford the 383! I cant go that far out yet, maybe sometime in the future a 383 could be in the plans. I have decided to go with the 373 rear end gear. Im ready for this weekend to get here so I can get started on pulling the tranny, im bout to take a look at the classifieds section and see if I cant find me some parts. thank everyone for advice and such.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts