LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I'm driving home from work, doing about 5 under the speed limit because of traffic. The route I was taking is a back road that has no shoulder and one lane in each direction without any type of median or spacing between the two opposite lanes of traffic, not withstanding the standard double yellow line.

I'm pacing a couple of seconds behind the truck in front of me when from beneath him arises a little rock (a large river rock actually that is about 9 inches long 6 inches wide and 4-5 inches tall).

Mind you my car has been lowered 1.25" from stock a couple months back. I can't swerve left (on coming traffic), can't go right (no shoulder), and can't slam on my brakes (might get rear ended from the heavy traffic- and let's face it I'd likely loose that battle being a common trucking route).

It looked like I could straddle it and clear. So I proceed to straddle this little rock, BAM! Damnit! Too big. My trans cracked. I made it home, but now I'm out at LEAST the housing for my T56! Fother Mucker!

Here you can see the cracked that dumped all my fluid all over the street and driveway.

And here's what it did to the K-member and oil pan.

I haven't even looked at my drive shaft or rear end yet, but even from a stop you can hear something grinding as soon as the car moves.

The rock won, it killed my transmission. Time to start saving up for a new trans housing and rebuild kit. Gonna pull it in a month or so to check out the internals then get everything ordered. UGH!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn !!!!! Sorry to here that man . That sucks . Don't have a spare or I'd help ya out .
It does suck. When I hit it the rock bounced off the road. Lucky for the guys behind me.

If k member bad I do have an extra there lol.
Looks useable. I wonder if the STB helped out? But i need the oil pan and probably an oil pick up too. I guess the engine overhaul is happening sooner than I thought.

I'll be saving up for the next few months to rebuild (modify) the engine trans and rear end. Might as well right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a better pic of the crack. The bottom of the trans bell housing is missing about an inch, but it's still serviceable.

The driveshaft and rear axle checked out o.k. But the rear is getting a rebuild with the girdle and support bars and 3.73's any way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Rock vs lowered 4th gen = :eek:wned:..... sorry bout the car

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Weld that bish up!
Nah, I'm gonna replace the housing. They go for about $500, but I think I found one for $250. Hopefully he still has it when I have the $250 next week....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
On my way home from work I decided to get that rock. It's my $1000 pet rock now....

This one you can actually make out the scratches from when it hit my car.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.