LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home from work and found that my crankshaft arrived while I was gone. :D Eagle 4.25 inch stroke 4130 steel baby!! With a .030 over I'll get 489 cubes. It's supposedly good for 1100 hp, so I'm aiming for 1000 :)

No pics right now, but I'll try to post some tomorrow afternoon. I'm just a little hyper right now since I've been looking for a good deal for over a year now. :lol:

·
Registered
612 Posts
thats a lot of cubes. whats the rest of it?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
489! wow mostrous

·
Registered
482 Posts
details...:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry guys, forgot about this thread lol.

Nothing's been set in stone yet, but I have a few ideas. Maybe I can get your opinions on it.

-Iron rectangle port heads (~340cc runner)
-centrifugal (sp?) sc with a blow through carb configuration (EFI is a little expensive)
-175-200 nitrous (maybe more)

So boost + nitrous is the idea, but not taking either to an extreme. Streetability is not much of a concern, and I still haven't decided whether I want to be able to run it on pump gas (ever). Plans are still being made for the most part. Right now I'm just trying to concentrate on getting the shortblock built right.

It could be a while before anything really gets started. I've had the block sitting in the garage for a little over a year before I finally ordered this crank (discontinued so I got a big discount). Hopefully I'll at least have the short block finished in a couple of weeks, and by then I'll have had some more time to look around.

Not sure what other details I can give, since there isn't much going on yet....

·
Registered
370 Posts
whats kind of compression do you plan to have to run a forced induced motor? my opinion go with a turbo. theres more benefits with a turbo than a SC. plus you save a lot of gas mileage. you can turn the boost up or down with a controller rather than switching a pulley like on a sc. now if you go nitrous how big of a shot. because you will have to find a happy median compression wise. because you are not spraying all the time. keep in mind for a low compression motor to have a lot of hp you need to have something to take up the slack of the low compression. if not then you will not have much hp at all. for example i have been working on a turbo 408 low compression ls1 for a while. 9.1:1 compression the car on motor only dynoed approx 300 hp.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Raven02Ta said:
whats kind of compression do you plan to have to run a forced induced motor? my opinion go with a turbo. theres more benefits with a turbo than a SC. plus you save a lot of gas mileage. you can turn the boost up or down with a controller rather than switching a pulley like on a sc.
I'm looking at 8:1 to 8.5:1 compression. Also, I think it would be simpler to run a sc, since there isn't as much plumbing to do (or $$). And as for saving gas mileage...... what gas mileage? It's a big block chevy, I'll be happy if I get 5mpg.
now if you go nitrous how big of a shot. because you will have to find a happy median compression wise. because you are not spraying all the time. keep in mind for a low compression motor to have a lot of hp you need to have something to take up the slack of the low compression. if not then you will not have much hp at all.
Like I said earlier, I'm looking to run around a 200 shot. The sc will make up for the lack of compression.

·
Registered
370 Posts
so you are going to spray on top of the SC? Pimp..... what kind of SC do you plan on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well an F1 procharger looks like more than enough to get where I want on boost alone, but on procharger's website they list the D1 as being able to go up to 925hp so I guess that would work as well. I think I really only need to be able to hit 800hp to spray up to 1000, so there wouldn't really be any use in buying something larger, right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts