LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my labtop took a poop on my wife. it really doesnt bother me cause i just use the work computer, but ill be doing some data logging an tuning soon so im gonna need a good computer. screen size really doesnt matter, i just dont wanna pay too much. do you guys know of any real good lab tops? or what would any of you recommend for under a 1000 bucks?

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
You can get an awful nice laptop nowadays for $1,000 and if you are only an occasional user and don't do any heavy gaming or programing I'd just say to go with a cheaper laptop (<$500) that would still have plenty of power for what you use it for then just replace it every 2 years or so.

At least thats what I'd do, they way things become obsolete so fast and the chances of it getting broke or damaged and need replacing anyway would make me give it a lower service life (at least around me :lol:).

Most all PC laptops all have the same internal parts and quality is about the same so I'd say just go for whatever you get the best deal on except for some of the no name brands.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i hear you on that, i do all my gaming on xbox. so all i really need one for is internet surfing, messaging an tuning. ill take alook around the 500 dollor range. i just wanna make sure that what ever i get isnt a slow internet browser. i know that really depends on internet speed, but i wanna make sure it can take what ever i throw at it.

C

·
0 Posts
Dell Inspiron 1420 is what me, my g/f, and my brother use. Well under 1K, more like in the 600-700 range well equipped.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Go buy the mini netbooks. I just did for datalogging and tuning. Make sure to get one with the atom n450 with at least 1gig of memory. The other netbooks using the other atom cpus. Like the n270 are slow as balls. I can help you out picking one. To be honest I know two that is dirt cheap. And can be overclocked to 2+ghz instead of the normal 1.66 ghz with no effort at all. Or a hit on the battery life. Knocks like 20mins of the battery.

Which those 2 have over 6hrs of battery time. For like 300bux'z. I will post the links. The one I ordered isn't here yet. But I have been using my friends new hp mini. It does good for appications, logging, internet works perfect(like moives or w/e), not sure of games as I never tried. It has the n450 with 1 gig of memory and I think a 250gig hard drive. It was like $350 at walmart. But all it all it is pretty nice for as small as it is. Another thing the battery stays charged about 5 hrs. Though i am sure it only has a 3 cell battery.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834157123
That is the one I have been playing with. It is my friends. And as I said the 3cell battery. No overclocking features though but can run 2 gigs of memory. All netbooks out I think are the 10.1 screen. So they are small. O and that one is $350 at walmart plus tax. More less the same price as newegg. Wireless works real good on it also. But if you ask me 250 gig hard drive is over kill for something like that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220676
The one i ordered. Only a 160gig hard drive but a 6 cell battery (Around 9 hours or more for the older models that had the graphics on the motherboard. Instead of like the atom n450. It is way ahead of its time. With graphics right on the cpu.) for more battery life. Seen it on some of the overclocking websites I go to. Along with one of the best brand of netbooks out right now. Same cpu and memory. Can be overclock to 2ghz with setfsb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2034940772%204018%201722253889&name=N450%281.66GHz%29
Same specs moreless as the rest. Allows overclocking also. Some other others using the other atom cpus. Allowed overclocking right in the bios. With no problems at all. Not sure on that model though.

Also with almost some if not all netbooks. To upgrade the memory to 2gigs will need a 2gig stick purchased to replace the 1gig stick. Which is like $40 bux's.

If you want a bigger screen. Then you will need to get a regular laptop which there is alot out there.

Though ckj you know that latop of yours is a little outdated. Along with there was better at the time you got it with better specs and speed for right around the same price. Like I think the starting range for them was like $800 to like $1500 if you wanted other goodies. :) Isn't a bad laptop though.

C

·
0 Posts
Though ckj you know that latop of yours is a little outdated. Along with there was better at the time you got it with better specs and speed for right around the same price. Like I think the starting range for them was like $800 to like $1500 if you wanted other goodies. :) Isn't a bad laptop though.
I really don't try to stay in front of the curve, I just keep on with what works :) Yeah its a little outdated, but it has never let me down in any situation. Laptops are a lot like machinery, by the time you go out and buy a new one, the next years model is improved. And after you have dropped 80K in a new 09 model, are you going to sell it and get a 2010 for 10K more than the price you paid for the 09? I guess that's why we still run our 88 & 89 12G graders. We know they work and they're in damn good shape, plus they do the job just as good as a new 250K 12M. Now in situations that it might not do the job that is needed (in both the laptop and machinery world) then its time to upgrade to that new shiney one :thumbsup:

The one thing the OP might run into when it comes to datalogging and tuning is the new OS isn't going to support Tunercat (I know this) and might not support LT1 Edit (not sure) I have a somewhat real old laptop just for that purpose of tuning. Tunercat will run on XP but doesn't run on Vista to well in my experience.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Dont anyone start throwing stuff at the screen but, I bought my son one of the Acer minis for his Birthday last year, 2 gig memory , 250k, he has played on the net as far as games and everything , no probs yet and I think it was $270 at the time. I will be using his for data logging soon.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry didnt mean to hi jack with the mini comment, I just got off Dells site and they are running specials you might want to check out

·
Registered
97 Posts
walmart has hp g60 for right at 500 i got 1 my gf has one and my other friend n there deff nice

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I really don't try to stay in front of the curve, I just keep on with what works :) Yeah its a little outdated, but it has never let me down in any situation. Laptops are a lot like machinery, by the time you go out and buy a new one, the next years model is improved. And after you have dropped 80K in a new 09 model, are you going to sell it and get a 2010 for 10K more than the price you paid for the 09? I guess that's why we still run our 88 & 89 12G graders. We know they work and they're in damn good shape, plus they do the job just as good as a new 250K 12M. Now in situations that it might not do the job that is needed (in both the laptop and machinery world) then its time to upgrade to that new shiney one :thumbsup:

The one thing the OP might run into when it comes to datalogging and tuning is the new OS isn't going to support Tunercat (I know this) and might not support LT1 Edit (not sure) I have a somewhat real old laptop just for that purpose of tuning. Tunercat will run on XP but doesn't run on Vista to well in my experience.

Um I was just messing with you.:p You however can upgrade the cpu and memory in that laptop of yours to keep up with newer ones. But you have the old chipsets though. Everything you said with windows 7. Is off. Freescan and datamaster work on vista and 7. Not sure what the problem is suppose to be with datamaster and 7. Though it works fine on my 64bit 7 ultimate install on everything I got. Evil swears free scan won't work with 7 but it does. And had to prove it to him by screenshots.

Tunercat will work with vista so it should work with 7 (research says it does) also. http://www.tunercat.com/tnr_desc/faq.html#21. I could try for anyone wanting to know.

Lt1 edit also works with vista where it should with 7 http://carputing.tripod.com/9495LT1Edit.htm If he did have problems with windows 7 or vista. I could help out with what ever os he would like to have.

Datamaster: http://www.ttspowersystems.com/DataMaster_downloads.html

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Tunercat works for me as I just checked. But I only installed winflash. To the op if you want a bigger screen/laptop. I have seen a few for cheap that is real nice. The bad thing with the netbooks is no cd-rom. Along with some of the cheaper laptops out now also have no cd-rom.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
umm so im gonna run winflash and datamaster i think..... what ever one is 20 free logs to start off with. so are you guys saying all these tuning programs do or dont work with newer windows..??? when i ran these programs before i had windows XP im pretty sure of.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Hey man I was just at walmart. And they have a compaq there. It is $348 with cd/dvd burner, 15.4 screen, 2gig of memory, The cpu is a amd single core(still should be fine for normal things and some games, I can't remember off the top of my head on the graphics it has. But it is a ati 3xxx series. Which should support some games. I can link it to you if you want to look at it.

Ps I don't like dells either lol. All of my pc's are built from scratch. The one I am on now is a e5200 overclocked to 3.8 ghz, water cooled and 4gigs of memory. And some other goodies. It is my photoshop/gaming rig. For what it compares to in dells would be way more than what I have in it. Plus I got a better warranty on everything in it than what they offer.

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
umm so im gonna run winflash and datamaster i think..... what ever one is 20 free logs to start off with. so are you guys saying all these tuning programs do or dont work with newer windows..??? when i ran these programs before i had windows XP im pretty sure of.
I haven't tried those programs yet, but I can tell you I just got a new laptop with windows 7 64 bit and very few older programs will run on it, so my guess would be no. Not unless they've released an updated version or something. I had tunercats working on my last laptop and it was Vista, but 32 bit so it might work on the 32 bit version of 7 too idk.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Ok man here is the deal I baught this laptop for my datalogging computer http://www.walmart.com/ip/15.6-250-GB-eME725-4520/13374563 $308 out the door at my walmart. See if they have any by you. The specs are wrong though. It has ddr3 memory instead of dd2. Stays charged for 3-5 hours depending on what you are doing. It is made by acer as they baught gateway and emachines out.

It runs 64 bit windows. And Datamaster, tunerpro, winflash works and so should tunercat. Freescan won't work on the laptop but does my desktop. Both are windows 7 64 bit. Beats me why it doesn't as i haven't messed with it much. No need to do compatibilty or anything like that for the programs I listed. They will also run on win 7 32 bit as I tried that earlier for you.

Let me know if you need any help. And i will help you out.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
ive had a very bad experiance with dell, i refuse to buy anymore of their product! thanks for the insite though:thumbsup:
I agree, DELL doesn't make a good product. My best friend bought a brand new DELL last year and within the first 4 days he had it the thing crashed and they won't do anything about it. He literally cannot shut it down or he gets the blue screen of death and then he has to do system restore.
I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 and it has been amazing to me. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a general purpose laptop.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts