LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know some opinions on if a '96 Camaro Z28 is good for a very first car. Will it be cheaper in the next two years? Might the price drop close or less than 3k? :eureka:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
For a first car i wouldnt recomend it. Its a 96 lt1 whcih means replacement parts soon after you get it. I dont recomend it if you dont have a job.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the replies, an now I'm thinking of getting a V6 camaro instead. Or, a really cheap $1000 Junker. I just invisioned crashing a 1996 Z28 lol :devil:
So, yeah. I'll just get a cheap car.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Yah forgot to mention that as a first timer anything with power could get you killed a tad more easily. And to what ^ said true you dont want to get a camaro because youll rag it out. Just as stated i ragged the shit out of my first car also until i figured out how much it sucks to buy parts because you broke something.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the 1st week i had my Z i was driving down an open road at about 30-35, no people no cars, and i nailed it to the floor to see what this thing could do, before i knew it, i was sideways, ive never had a car scare me like that before, and thats back when it still had the 2.73s in it

and this is my 5th car, i would just hate to see someone in a ditch because they didnt know what they were doing

if you want i can try to find the pictures of my little hydroplanning accident from Aug 04

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Best to learn to drive something with less power first...like a little pickup. RWD in general is harder to learn how to handle in inclement weather. So dropping a 16 yr old into a 300hp sports car with Z rated tires probably isn't the best move.

I learned for a year on a 1977 Cutlass Supreme. 350 Olds Rocket V8 but only 180 hp....good learner car because it was already wasted and I couldn't hurt it.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Learned in a 96 Chevy Z71 and boy did I rag on that thing, I sure did learn how to drift in a truck pretty good though. I think it was a good learner vehicle because parts where cheap, gas economy was decent (If I kept my foot out of it), very safe, and It held up to all my beating on it.

I just finished fixing everything I ever broke on it and I realized it cleans up really good, and is actually pretty quick for a little 305. 9.2 0-60, thats quicker than my moms 05 Dodge Ram. I got a offer on it today and after pouring all that money into it to repair it, its kinda hard to let ole GREEn-go go.

·
Registered
199 Posts
buy an Iroc reliable and you'll keep it forever or you can buy a 70's V6 car an put a nice smallblock in it (this is probably the way I'm going to go)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Buy a beater for real cheap(old s10 or ranger are good), then save up buy a project car(several good options) build it up over time while you drive the beater and bam you have a car you will be proud of and will respect plus you will be less prone to trash it after driving your beater.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
ok heres what i found, that these were taken before i found out that i also bend the rear axle and passenger side steering knuckle

passenger rear rim

passenger rocker panel

driver front rim

driver front rim again

hole in the oil pan

and all of this was because i was trying to get infront of a semi before my lane ended, also my tires were bald and i was on my way to get new ones

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Iroc313 said:
buy an Iroc reliable and you'll keep it forever or you can buy a 70's V6 car an put a nice smallblock in it (this is probably the way I'm going to go)
3rd gens reliable? Now I've heard everything.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any older car is going to have one problem or another. All depends on how it was taken care of. If your into 4th gens I would say a 94 or 95. They have an odb1 computer. The 96 has an odb2 computer which is more of a pita. Plus the dull cat is in the way of everything. These are great cars to start learning on. It's all not easy. Any year you get. The prices on these cars are low and they will get lower. For the money you can't beat them for the performance. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
well i can tell you right now, it doesnt have a 5 speed auto, its either a 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual which only comes with a V6, or a 6 speed manual which comes with a V8

im guessing its a typo and its a A4

·
Registered
199 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
3rd gens reliable? Now I've heard everything.
well my brothers has 250k miles on it and has never really had problems with it the motor is doing fairly well better than the newer daewoo or kia

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
my 87 Camaro was reliable in that it got me from point A to point B

otherwise it was just a big oil leak (305HO), steering colum support bearing was loose, never really wanted to start, but it got me to were i needed to be untill the water pump let loose as i was pulling into the parking lot at work

·
Registered
53 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts