LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0512htp_afr/

Anybody else read this one? Its in the latest issue too. I'm always fascinated by making hp with great heads and a small cam...the OEM way I guess.

If I had an LS1 car I'd probably start out with great heads first, just to see what I could do before going in and changing cams.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You ought to do a search for Patrick G on ls1tech.com, he did almost that exact thing. He built everything else, and even left the stock exhaust on there for a while to see what the car could make before stepping up to a huge H/C package(that's what it has now). It was a very interesting thing to watch.

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Thats nice... man i want an ls1 :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'll be getting my LS1 in about 4 years savin up for it already

Got about 36$ and 27 cents saved up so far only about 7964$ left :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
keep saving iroc313. i saved my pennis and for my graduation party form highschool i cut a hole in the top of a big peanut can and wrote "trans am fund" on it and made just enough to give me a down payment and the first5 payments due on my car. now im going month by month to pay this thing off, but its worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
LS1Insyde said:
keep saving iroc313. i saved my pennis.
:lol: :lol: priceless..... hahahahaaa....

·
Registered
18 Posts
OK, I'm interested, but even after reading "So You Want To Be Fast" may not know enough to confuse myself...yet.

My daily driver is an 02 Z-28, the only effective mod being a Magnaflow catback.

If I make the described change, can I do NOTHING else and get good RWHP gains, WITHOUT throwing codes or having to change other things to compensate?

This seems to violate the Jaberwoki Heads/Cams = Peas/Carrots Rule...

I notice a lot of people "upgrade" and mess things up, can't afford to go that route --- is this a one time stand alone mod that will make a difference?

So all things considered, is this worth it financially, and will it still keep the daily driver reliable?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Z-Bird said:
If I make the described change, can I do NOTHING else and get good RWHP gains, WITHOUT throwing codes or having to change other things to compensate?

This seems to violate the Jaberwoki Heads/Cams = Peas/Carrots Rule...
It is agreat rule of thumb, but nothing is writen in stone, you are definatly wise to study from others mistakes before moving foward.

As for going heads only, there is nothing wronge with it, if your plans are to try to squeeze by the sniffer, or you are a street racing trying to have a hidden advantage.

but if your plans are to have a seriouse street demon, the afr heads will definatly get that job done and are optimised by a VERY street friendly 228 cam that afr's tony mamo helped create the grind for...

my old setup(shown below) is afr heads and a baby 224 cam i already had(or i would have used the 228).we never got it dialed in 100% (a failed injector took that motor to the grave) but even half/tuned it was plenty to keep me in front of most. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
"squeeze by the sniffer..."

I've never thought of my wife as a sniffer, but now that you mention it... :lol:

=========================================================

I only got the Z a couple weeks ago, and still have 4 years and 50 weeks on the extended warranty, so I don't want to change too many things, void the warranty, and blow the motor with 50+ payments remaining...

It sounds like the AFR may be worthwhile standing alone, especially for my purposes, and if I wanted to upgrade later, these heads would be more than good enough to add onto...

The heads are back ordered everywhere I called, probably a good thing...it'll give me time to pay off some old debt and study a bit more before undertaking some spring time debt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wish you hadn't said "Serious Street Demon" --- it is evoking most alluring imagery...

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
sent ya a pm...:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tried responding twice and each time my computer froze up when I hit send...if it didn't go through, let me know (I doubt it did) and I'll try something else.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Z-Bird said:
Tried responding twice and each time my computer froze up when I hit send...if it didn't go through, let me know (I doubt it did) and I'll try something else.
no it did not go...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jaberwaki:

I PM'd you from LS1 Tech...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't wait to see what the small bore 225's do on my car. :devil:

·
Registered