LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning folks getting my exhaust done soon on my 95 Z, right now it has the stock Y with no cat to an older flowmaster 40 (bought the car like this)

the plan is to get some longtubes and run true dual 3 inch all the way back with an H pipe and a flowmaster super 10 on each side, now i know flowmaster is known for being restrictive, but the super 10s IMO dont look really restrictive compared to the 40, and of course a straight thru design would be ideal for maximum flow but a 3 inch true dual setup is gonna flow like crazy anyway

i want to do 3 inch pipe because down the road i plan on pulling the engine and doing a rebuild with the addition of a 503 cam 1.6 rockers, springs and all that good stuff

so what do you guys think? am i on the right track?

·
Registered
936 Posts
personally with that kind of build, 3" piping isnt required. i think viper has posted up the flow numbers on a couple occasions but a 2.5" true dual setup if i remember correctly allows for up to 500rwhp with no loss due to the exhaust. therefore the 3" is a little overkill but there are no negative side affects to what you are planning. before sticking with flowmaster you should research other brands such as magnaflow, borla, thrush, and dynomax to name a few. you could look up the similar setups on youtube videos for help with what the setup will actually sound like and such.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
personally with that kind of build, 3" piping isnt required. i think viper has posted up the flow numbers on a couple occasions but a 2.5" true dual setup if i remember correctly allows for up to 500rwhp with no loss due to the exhaust. therefore the 3" is a little overkill but there are no negative side affects to what you are planning. before sticking with flowmaster you should research other brands such as magnaflow, borla, thrush, and dynomax to name a few. you could look up the similar setups on youtube videos for help with what the setup will actually sound like and such.
see i was researching a lot online about muffler brands and came across this video

hes running super 10s as well and i think that sounds pretty damn good, but ive been back and fourth between that and the loudmouths

and as far as the 3 inch pipe i believe your only as strong as your weakest link so i wanted to leave nothing to chance with upgrades in the future, hell by the time i pull the engine i might be thinking about boost lol you just never know

·
Registered
135 Posts
LS1's are a whole different animal. They sound completely different from LT1s. IMHO it's hard to make LT1s sound really good

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i've found so many exhaust systems on LT1 are just.. gross.

the exhaust side of an LT1 should sound exactly like a gen 1 smallblock chev, because it is. countless people have made the smallblock chevy platform sound great. so why do so many LT1s sound so horrible?

it's not hard to make an LT1 sound good at all. it's just incredibly hard to do it with components that actually fit into a 4th gen f-body

the other factor is, sound does not equal performance.

and a lot of sound comes from your cam and headers. a lot of these 'classic 350 powered hotrods' you see roaring by that sound so awesome, have way too much duration, and short (but usually equal length) headers.

you can do the same on an lt1, and it will give you the ultimate exhaust note, but very poor performance..

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's hard to beat the sound and performance of an X pipe with pair of 4x9 Magnaflows dumped at the axle. I run full exhaust with 4 Magnaflows myself. A dual 2 1/2" system will support over 500 hp as stated above.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alrighty then... So what would be the ideal exhaust system for an lt1? And i do understand that the ls1 is apples to oranges compared to the lt1, but identical exhaust systems will at least sound alike, NOT EXACT, but alike

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And i will not be doing dumps, I like a little show with my go, so whatever I do its gonna have chrome tips out the back

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I have found so many conflicting opinions on what sounds better lt1 or ls1, you guys are saying ls1, where I have found sites stating that the lt1 sounds better, its all opinion

·
Registered
135 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
..but identical exhaust systems will at least sound alike, NOT EXACT, but alike..
you'd be shocked how much of your sound is due to your valvetrain. you should hear my car cammed with the stock catback. you'd never recognize it.

in the case of the LS1, you have a different firing order too, and that definitely gives it a different kind of rumble.

i'm personally a big fan of the magnaflow catbacks for these cars, they have everything. they growl, they're loud at high rpm, they're noticeable but quiet at idle..

they really do need a cat or a resonator in front of them, though. chamber is way too big or something. the second you connect them to a straight out offroad exhaust, your car sounds like an F350 diesel pickup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts