LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best gear oil to help combat gear whine??

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use just a regular old gear oil with some limited slip additive. I got a small amount of whine on acceleration, but its hard to hear over the exhaust.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can hear the whine over true duals dumped, that's how loud it is at interstate speeds. The wear pattern is perfect with .006 backlash, I don't know what the deal is but it drives me nuts. I grabbed some Lucas in a hurry at Advance Auto when I was putting it back together, I gotta try something different to see if it helps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Richmond gears re whiney but this is just unbearable. It's not that it's so loud it's just really high pitched, it drives me nuts! :screwy:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think that's the prob, the wear pattern is perfect. It wasn't this loud with the locker. I'm just wondering if the thinner ring gear flange on the spool has anything to do with it. Maybe I should have used a ring gear spacer. I'm gonna email strange and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the response I got from Strange............

"The spool is thinner because the material is stronger. This allows us to make the spool as light as possible. You will not use a ring gear spacer with it. If this was a used gear, you do not want to use the backlash spec that it was originally set to, but the backlash spec that it wore to. Also, the gear manufacturer gives you a range to fall into. The perfect backlash is anything within that range that gives you the best pattern with the least gear noise.

We recommend petroleum based gear oil (non-synthetic) 85-145 gear oil."

I think what they are saying is I need to set it to .008 backlash since that's what it wore to when I first installed it with the locker. I'm gonna try some different lubes first because I really don't feel like pulling the chunk out again right now nor do I have the time.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The whine is basically gone now, except at slow speeds but it isn't bad at all. Maybe it had to get wore in to the new pattern since it had already been ran before. :dontknow:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts