LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive have my oil temp gauge hooked up for a while, but soon after it got hooked up, it started acting funny. when i get on the gas, usually 50% throttle or more, it looks like its a boost gauge. the needle will shoot over to the right until i let off the gas. ive been telling people im running 300# of boost

anyway, i figured it was the ground or something, so i checked it out, and its not. i pulled the gauge off the pod and all the wires are fine there too.

what the hell is going on?

oh, and the sender is mounted above the oil filter

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Wonder if the sensor is somehow pressures sensitive, like unintentionally? If oil pressure spikes in that one spot, would the sensor thiing the temp is going up?

What brand gauge is it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the gauge is autometer. and actually about the pressure thing....

above the oil filter is a fitting...i think your supposed to drill it out and then mount the sender, but i didnt drill it out. oil comes right up against the fitting, and the fitting it aluminum so it transfers the heat fine, but im sure the temp on the gauge is off by a few degrees, nothing drastic though (my gauge reads like my friends in his car).

so, in short, theres no oil touching the sender.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Chris 96 WS6 said:
Wonder if the sensor is somehow pressures sensitive, like unintentionally? If oil pressure spikes in that one spot, would the sensor thiing the temp is going up?

What brand gauge is it.

That's what I'm thinking.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no, there is no way the sender is coming in contact with oil. get under you car and look at the oil filter, there is a fitting above it help on by two bolts. its a t-shape fitting pointed upwards. the vettes use it, but fbodies dont. youre supposed to drill and tap it for the sender, but i didnt think it would cause a big temp diff if i didnt drill it. so i only tapped it. the temp reads the same, even though no oil is actually touching it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts