LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeh yeh i know another gas price post... basically i just wanna know what gas prices are in your guys areas...

today prices went up 30 cents!!!!

93 is now 3.19 ... :eek: for people that live in our area the NORM is a 45 mile commute... mine is 75-80 miles ONE WAY so these prices are really hurting us...

how bout you? :poke:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Went up 20 cents per gallon here over night. (NE Ohio)

Was $2.49 for regular... now $2.69.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Vendetta said:
When are these prices going to drop back to normal?
Depends on your definition of normal. Its going to take a few weeks to overcome the supply interruptions, and then maybe the prices will settle back in the $2.50-$2.75 range.

87 is $2.73 here right now.

·
Registered
288 Posts
87 = 3.09
93 = 3.29

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
my question is... how can it be that price at the pump goes up at the slightest hint of a trouble... but it takes weeks for it to settle back down...and even then its still higher then it started.....

time to buy a deisel and convert it to GRASS-O-LEEN....it only cost 2.00 per gallon to make it yourself... ;)

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Jaberwaki said:
my question is... how can it be that price at the pump goes up at the slightest hint of a trouble... but it takes weeks for it to settle back down...and even then its still higher then it started.....

time to buy a deisel and convert it to GRASS-O-LEEN....it only cost 2.00 per gallon to make it yourself... ;)
I'll tell you exactly why,though nobody seems to want to accept the answer.

Say you own a gas station. You bought a whole tank full of gas at $1.79/gallon wholesale price. You sell it at $2.50 and that covers your cost of sale (which would be 1.79), plus all your overhead (light bill, clerk, etc.) and a little profit. Now say the wholesale prices goes up to $2.29....

You have to make enough money off of what was in the ground to be able to refill your tank with the newer gas at the higher price. If the wholesale cost is .60 higher you have to raise your price to match so you can refill the tank and still have money to pay for your overhead and a little profit.

That's why the price goes up even though the gas they bought that you're pumping right now didn't cost them as much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
contraststriker said:
Bush opened up our petroleum reserves, I'm interested to see what effect that may have.
It knocked oil back under $70.

However getting it refined is the real issue.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there are several refineries right now begging for crude to refine... those are who the reserve oil is going to...

and chris, your explanation covers why it goes up right away... but not why it does not go back down, when over head goesdown... simply put they pocket it... all of it...
its not poor mister pump owner....
all of the pump owners local in the area bump the prices up at the first hint of an increase... then when the price of crude drops, they all get together and decide to line there pockets for 2-3 weeks before they start to lower them....

·
Registered
612 Posts
2.55 beeches for regular. 2.75 premium. it is currently illegal for them to raise prices here right now. people are filling up.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my wife just called, said prices went back down 10 cents.... phew...

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Jaberwaki said:
there are several refineries right now begging for crude to refine... those are who the reserve oil is going to...

and chris, your explanation covers why it goes up right away... but not why it does not go back down, when over head goesdown... simply put they pocket it... all of it...
its not poor mister pump owner....
all of the pump owners local in the area bump the prices up at the first hint of an increase... then when the price of crude drops, they all get together and decide to line there pockets for 2-3 weeks before they start to lower them....
They are simply hedging their bets...it could go back up at any time...its good business IMO. You'd run your own company the same way I bet.

·
Registered
339 Posts
We have one local gas station that has been in town since forever. They are always the last to raise their prices and the first to drop them. I try to give them as much of my business as possible. They treat the community well and the community treats them well back. They always get the most business of the probably 10 stations in the city.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts