LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Trans am and just recently had the fuel pump replaced. I asked the mechanic to cutout the back for easier access for the future. Im not sure what happened but every since repair, i can smell gas inside the car and noticed that it leaks gas in the rear closer to the driver side. Im not sure where to start. Id like to take the car back to the mechanic but its in my garage and im afraid to even start it now. Anyone have some sound advice for my situation it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
I'd jack rear of car up. Support with jack stands.

You're going to have to get under car and look for gas leaks along the fuel lines. Have an assistant hook battery voltage to the fuel pump prime wire. It's hanging loose on passenger side front inner fender. It should be near the computer box.

You can see a pic of prime connector at www.shbox.com

By using prime connector, you are minimizing the risk of fire. However, have a fire extinguisher at hand. Have your assistant run pump until you find any leaks present. Shoebox site should have pic or diagram of fuel lines. If not, go to this site and download 96 service manual. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Also lift rear hatch carpet and see if fuel smell coming from access panel that was installed after changing fp. If no access panel, make & install one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd jack rear of car up. Support with jack stands.

You're going to have to get under car and look for gas leaks along the fuel lines. Have an assistant hook battery voltage to the fuel pump prime wire. It's hanging loose on passenger side front inner fender. It should be near the computer box.

You can see a pic of prime connector at www.shbox.com

By using prime connector, you are minimizing the risk of fire. However, have a fire extinguisher at hand. Have your assistant run pump until you find any leaks present. Shoebox site should have pic or diagram of fuel lines. If not, go to this site and download 96 service manual. www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Also lift rear hatch carpet and see if fuel smell coming from access panel that was installed after changing fp. If no access panel, make & install one.
Hello Coco,
Thank you for the response. I have downloaded the manuals already, thank god for whoever put that work in. very appreciative. I also have already had an access panel installed, if you want to call it that. The only thing they done was just cut the metal into two "doors" then bent them back. They are not even sealed back down or bolted. That is a future issue ill need to deal with. so putting power to the pump will cause my leak to show up, but the area ive seen it before, which is on the driver side near the tank and I couldnt exactly pinpoint it. I think its probably best to have the car worked on at a shop? Worried about firing it up for the first time in awhile since it leaks. It is in my garage. Ill give it another look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 96 Trans am and just recently had the fuel pump replaced. I asked the mechanic to cutout the back for easier access for the future. Im not sure what happened but every since repair, i can smell gas inside the car and noticed that it leaks gas in the rear closer to the driver side. Im not sure where to start. Id like to take the car back to the mechanic but its in my garage and im afraid to even start it now. Anyone have some sound advice for my situation it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sounds like the gasket on the fuel pump assembly is leaking. I had the same problem and had to reset the gasket.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts