LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 trans am with a LT1. I want to put a full exhaust, from headers all the way back. I've been looking at everything but I'm not sure to go with shorty or long tube, and what all Y-pipe and catalytic converter and exhaust kits will all bolt together. I want to all the work myself so everything bolting right up would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Don't go shorties. Waste of money. Long tubes are your best bet, but if you want to do a y pipe you have to remove the cat I believe. Best would be to do LT's into an X pipe dumped before the axle with your choice of mufflers, or just none at all. Easily done for around $500

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Didn t see where you are from, but make sure you are in a emissions exempt area, meaning you do not have emissions testing as part of your inspection. If you are, then you are limited to basically shortys and they would have to have a EO number. But if you do not have to worry about emission inspections, then long tubes, mid tubes, or even shorty's will be an improvement over stock. Also the stock y pipe is very restrictive, and would be one of the first things I would replace.

hth

andy schuck

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
i personally have pacesetter longtubes to an slp loudmouth exhaust for the 98-02 camaro. it doesnt use cats or a muffler just a straight through resonator. i just did a few cuts and welds to fit it and it works great! i will say its a bit raspy and at times is obnoxiously loud when your on it...buts performance wise i love the set-up and it sounds mean as can be:thumbsup:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went with Mac midlengths, Mac y pipe and 3" ORP, all bolt on and it works great. 93 -95 run the same exhaust y pipe. The 3" ORP (replaces stock cat) bolts to the y-pipe and then to factory intermediate pipe. Install on all was not bad at all. Best part was not having to take the car to the muffler shop. I did have to re-tighten all bolts a few times after running the car but its been a year since I have done that. Overall I am pleased with the results.
The sound is awesome !!! I get compliments all the time.

Longtubes will give more power than midlengths but do have clearance issues and are a tad more difficult to install. Midlengths make decent power and have no clearance problems at all. Dont waste your time on shorties. There better than the factory log manifolds, but for the time and effort go with midlengths or longtubes. Check emissions where your at. I dont have to worry about emissions where I am at.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Kooks lt1 true duel exhaust. $3000.00 i believe thats the best equipment money can buy. I wish it was available when i was doing my build. Im still tossing the idea around on my on going under the car and taking my system out that i have now (hooker lt, hooker ory, slp loudmouth) and doing this system.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Kooks lt1 true duel exhaust. $3000.00 i believe thats the best equipment money can buy. I wish it was available when i was doing my build. Im still tossing the idea around on my on going under the car and taking my system out that i have now (hooker lt, hooker ory, slp loudmouth) and doing this system.
Its a little hard to justify spending $3000 on an exhaust system for a $3000 car.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
He did a almost full resto on his, paint etc etc

So, yea a fancy overpriced SS exhaust may fit the bill.
In that case I withdraw my comment.

But on anyone else who hasnt done a full resto on theirs, its still a $3000 car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going to make my own thread on this... but seeing as there's already one started, I'll just hop on here... Also looking to do a full exhaust, but assuming cat-delete and AIR system removal, will it not require reprogramming?
Right now I'm looking at Long-tubes, y-pipe, hi-flow cat, and magnaflow cat-back, but that AIR system seems to be giving me nothing but headaches...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was going to make my own thread on this... but seeing as there's already one started, I'll just hop on here... Also looking to do a full exhaust, but assuming cat-delete and AIR system removal, will it not require reprogramming?
Right now I'm looking at Long-tubes, y-pipe, hi-flow cat, and magnaflow cat-back, but that AIR system seems to be giving me nothing but headaches...
I had my AIR and EGR programed out of my OBD1 when tuned so I dont throw codes for those items. I am not running a cat at all. i also dont have to worry about emissions either. After you do your longtubes and all, also do a 160 themostat (Hypertech $25 )Then I would have it tuned. You will pick some decent power just from a tune alone. Just let them know via a order sheet and they will delete those items. I used PCMforless, very happy with their tune. :thumbsup: Car runs really strong.

·
Registered
105 Posts
so they offer a chip that has that info in the tune? I was looking at potentially getting they hypertech programmer... I'm open to all options right now... just SOOOO sick of that bloody AIR system continually throwing codes

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd go mac mid headers. But it really depends on the roads of your state. Maybe they are bumpy? What about the sound are you ready for the really loud sound? Check the youtube.com different combos, i'm sure one of them you'll like.

·
Registered
69 Posts
so they offer a chip that has that info in the tune? I was looking at potentially getting they hypertech programmer... I'm open to all options right now... just SOOOO sick of that bloody AIR system continually throwing codes
Actually PCMforless burns (tune) a new chip with information you supplied on the order form. This chip piggybacks your stock chip. Any future tunes all you do is send in the piggyback chip and he upgrades that chip with your request.

Also chips are only avaible on the 1993 fbodies. 1994 and up require a for u to send in the computer for a flash tune. You never did say what year and model car you have.

Hypertech is junk, dont waste your money. I know guys that actually ran slower at the dragstrip with there hypertech chip or programer.

Like I said before PCMforless is a custom tune for your car based on what you have put on the ordersheet. Its well worth the money. Do a search on PCMforless and you will see what I am talking about. I had my first tune done for about 100 bucks ( I got mine on one of PCMforless sales) typically there about 140 bucks. Also any future tune is only 50 bucks with them. So if you do any other modifications cam, heads, blower, turbo, he can tune for that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Check out www.mandrelbendsolutions.com and buy what you need, mock it up and weld together. Pacesetters are good headers for the money but be prepared to have to port the primaries a bit. I just finished mine before I put my engine in last night. Pacesetter is looking into...so they said anyways. Then buy an SLP loudmouth resonator and you're golden.
You can take your mocked up exhaust to any exhaust shop and they can tig weld it for you. Ensure the exhaust shop maks it slip fit for you in a few places though. Good luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
forgot to post that here... it's a '94 Firebird Formula

·
Registered
105 Posts
plan right now is Pacesetter Long tube ceramic coated, pacesetter "off-road" y-pipe, cat delete pipe if necessary, and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. and the necessary Tune of course...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts