LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So anyway, I bought my 2002 z28 in January. About a month ago, I just made a half hour trip. I shut the car down and about 2 minutes later realized I forgot something and started it back up. It ran like crap. Acted like it wasnt getting enough fuel. I hit the accellerator, and it died. Cranked on it a couple of times and nothing happened. Finally, I held the petal to the floor and it started and ran great. I dismissed it as a freak thing and it has ran fine since. However, yesterday moring I went to start it and it just cranked. Never would fire. Acted like it wasnt getting gas. Had my gf crank on it while I stuck a screwdriver in the schrader valve on the fuel rail and nothing came out. Anyway, about an hour later it fired right up and has ran fine since. Fuel filter? Maybe a regulator or a pump going bad? Anybody else have a similar problem or a random thought?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Doubt it's the fuel filter. When they get plugged up, the flow is limited under load, not zero pressure when starting or at idle.

The "regulator" is a check valve in the return port of the pickup assembly. I've never heard of one going bad, but that doesn't mean it didn't. Being intermittent isn't a likely failure mode, though.

The pump is the most likely. If you replace the pickup assembly, you'll get new pump, pickup sock, fuel gauge sender, and "regulator". You should also change the filter while you're at it. If you just replace the pump in the pickup (hopefully with an upgrade pump), you should also replace the pickup sock and filter.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Try unplugged the maf. Could be reading wrong.. if u unplug your computer will go to default settings.. its not likely the prob.. but an easy way to rule it out. I'm bout to post a new thread bout it.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Had my gf crank on it while I stuck a screwdriver in the schrader valve on the fuel rail and nothing came out.
Doesn't sound like an MAF problem to me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Missed that part.. lol.. can u hear the pump priming when u turn the car to on?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its running fine now. When it wouldnt start, I did not have time to mess with it very much then, as I needed to get home. When I came back, listening for the pump was one of the things I was going to do, however, it started. If the pump is going out, will the pressure be low now?

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
It may be, but I wouldn't count on it. Dead sometimes/works sometimes is often an electrical connection making intermittent contact, so when working, it may not show low pressure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if by electrical problem you mean that I have a bad electronic fuel pump, I am currently working to learn about how to correct this issue. Right now, it seems that the right way for me to go is to hack up the trunk and replace the pump itself with the Walbro 255LHR . I do have a question about this. On the Racetronix website there is a universal GM fuel pump replacement kit for $98.65 (FPK-1016) that has the 255LHR pump. There is also a kit specifically for 99-02 ls1 cars with the same pump and a few different looking accessories for $209.98 (RFPK-001). Do I need the more expensive kit? Is there any benefit for the extra $100? I am also hearing about a “hotwire” kit that allows for a more professional install and higher performance potential. My car is stock and I have no intention of doing any major upgrades. What can I do to resolve this problem as effectively (good and safe) and efficiently (cheap) as possible? Also, what’s the likelihood of having an injector hanging open?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If u weren't getting gas out of.the schraeder valve its likely not an injector problem, although ya never know u could have one.hanging open or clogged in addition to your other problem, but unlikely., fix the other problem before u get into that q at all... Make sure ur getting proper fuel to the engine.and go from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
i might of missed it, but did you run a fuel pressure test? first thing i would do....

noise coming from the pump/tank area does not tell you much. the pump will wind, or not wind. no telling on how much pressure it develops by noise. if pressure PRIMES lower then desired pressure (47.5-50 psi-ish) could be a filter with debris, but if it follows with dropping pressure, that is a bad pump. IDLE pressure should be around 55-60 psi.
IMO sounds like a bad pump, given the info provided.

check out highflowfuel.com i went through two "name brand pumps" before i installed one of these. great pump. has not failed me on my turbo/lt1 set up keeping up as much as possible with the 60lb injectors. lifetime warranty. no questions asked. two years strong and still going in my z28.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.