LS1LT1 Forum banner

"Friendly" PITTSBURGH, PA mechanics, help! Can't take it anymore! lol

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PA94Z 
#1 ·
Anyone in the general Pittsburgh, PA area good with the dreaded broken exhaust manifold bolt? Every shop I take it to either won't touch it or they want a crazy high price to do it.

Driver side, bolt closest to the manifold, about half a fingernail deep.:banghead:

Headers are a plan later on in the summer; but for now, I can't take this tractor/ horse blubbering sound anymore so where are my friendly Pittsburgh LT1 gearheads to help a brother out lol ???

#3 ·
Yes, learn to do it yourself. Save money and have the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right. To help you along, we have factory service manuals for a bunch of years of 4th gens, in the 4th gen section. Look for thread titled "GM service manuals". Of course these manuals assume mechanical knowledge. If you need step by step directions, get a Haynes or, even better, the deluxe Chilton manual.

#5 ·
It's one of those things I have the know how/ grasp on how to do it, just not the tools. I'd be a little more motivated to do it myself if it was a different bolt but its the one closest to the firewall.. you guys know it's easier to get into narnia than get tools back there lol

#6 ·
I would drill it out and put a stainless bolt through it. I would also just remove the manifold assembly and do it that way too. That would probably be the easier way but then again you may run into more problems. Or you could buy a clamp with screw thingy from your hardware store and temp fix it til you have time. You may find it in the electrical section. There small and compact and will do the trick short term.

#9 ·
Look up bridge clamps and ground clamps. Sorry I don't have a pic. You can find them at your local hardware store.

#10 ·
Have you ever drilled into a hardened bolt that is recessed in the threads? Its hard enough to keep the bit off the threads when you can actually see it. The fix that is needed requires the cylinder head to come off. I would be happy to help you out if I had time, sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.