·
Registered
861 Posts
Id say or someone was really ragging it

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
hrcslam, let me answer your questions as I was there that evening. No we don't all suck as drivers. Some of us were getting accustomed to our "brand new" car before we started beating on it. And yes you are correct the cars can go much faster than what you saw. In short you should have spoken to the other drivers that attended that evening as only they can answer your questions.

Your times seem to be accurate based on your mods and running at elevation in Tucson (~3,100 feet) and of course the excellent track prep. BTW You need to perform longer burn outs. Those little 1 second burn outs you did that night will not get you anywhere near 13.00 seconds. At least not in Tucson. Look into a line lock.

As for the other drivers...we were all hanging out in the pits together so I know what they ran for the time I was there.

I believe there was only one GTR there that evening (I could be mistaken) and it was running consistently in the 11's all night. The Corvettes and the BMW were putting down good times as well.

As far as the ZL1, it is a brand new car, just completed the break-in period, completely stock. It was the first time to the track with the car so I was babying it to get accustomed to its behavior (See reaction time below). I am not about to drive a $60,000 car into the wall or cause an accident by pushing to the car to its limits the first time(s) out - only an idiot would do that. All my launches were from an idle, in tour mode, no PTM, no launch control, no burn outs, resulting in very slow reaction and 60 foot times. I was driving it as if I was leaving from a stop light and there was a law enforcement officer sitting in the same intersection as well. Additionally, I was granny shifting the car because I am accustomed to the shifter (Pro 5.0) and clutch (Monster Level 3) in my 2002 WS6. Additionally, some of us drove 80 miles one way to Tucson. We blow up our car and it is a LOOOONG walk or very expensive tow home. The numbers below should validate this.

Here are the ZL1 times for the first time down the track:
R/T:.........................0.513
60'...........................2.216
1/8 ET......................8.752
1/8 MPH....................85.60
1000'........................11.180
1/4 ET......................13.220
1/4 MPH....................110.39

BTW You could have approached me (us) with your questions that evening as I had large groups of people standing around my car in the staging lanes and the pits asking me tons of questions about the ZL1. We were having a great time. Oh and don't forget ZL1s are not drag strips cars there were built for the road courses.
Not sure if you're still around, but I'm responding to this anyway.

Good info here. I take it you're an experienced drag racer by the way your tone (assumed tone) is in the words you write here. A 13.220 @ 110.39 with good track prep, summer max performance tires, coming out of the hole easy off idle. It's still an 11.9 @ 117 second car running 13.2 @ 110 @ 6100 DA ( I don't reference elevation as nobody does as it's not as pertinent as density altitude which factors in elevation among other things). Hell, even going easy from 11.9 you're still a 12.1-12.2 car.

So now my 13.4 time doesn't seem as bad as I thought. I too was coming out of the hole easy (not off idle, but riding the clutch) for two reasons. One, my tires are ALL-Seasons and I don't have any traction assistance, and two, I don't want to hook hard off the line and make my 7.5" a two piece unit. You know that whole LOOOONG walk thing? Also note my car is not optimized for drag racing either. It's actually less so than yours is.

The intent of this thread was to discuss the possibility the DA was having on the horrible track times (1.3+ is horrible). It seems that has been answered. Even more so with your input so I thank you for that.

I disagree with doing anything more than scrubbing the pebbles off my ALL-Season street tires. Street tires DON'T need warmed up like DR's or slicks do. If anything long burnouts actually make things worse. Also, I think your infatuation with elevation needs to be readdressed within you. Density Altitude (DA) is elevation AND air temp, pressure, humidity, etc. DA is a far more effective tool at understanding and compensating the different times and traps from different locations or even the same location at different times of year.

As for why I didn't approach you and your group of guys.... According to the Meyers Briggs personality test I am an INTJ. This makes me an Introvert Intuitive Thinking and Judging personality. As in I don't just approach strangers. I mainly talk to people I know and I'm no good at small talk. So, I apologize for not approaching your group and sparking up a conversation as that is not the type of person I am. Although, the same could've been said for you all. I ran against 3 of you and only one of you even talked to me and that was through this forum in a seemingly drunk text sort of way.....

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if most guys here are INTJ's too. There's a thread on Tech talking about this topic and easily 95% of us guys there are INTJ's too. Read the link above out loud to your other half and see if they don't nod in complete agreement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not sure if you're still around, but I'm responding to this anyway.

Good info here. I take it you're an experienced drag racer by the way your tone (assumed tone) is in the words you write here. A 13.220 @ 110.39 with good track prep, summer max performance tires, coming out of the hole easy off idle. It's still an 11.9 @ 117 second car running 13.2 @ 110 @ 6100 DA ( I don't reference elevation as nobody does as it's not as pertinent as density altitude which factors in elevation among other things). Hell, even going easy from 11.9 you're still a 12.1-12.2 car.

So now my 13.4 time doesn't seem as bad as I thought. I too was coming out of the hole easy (not off idle, but riding the clutch) for two reasons. One, my tires are ALL-Seasons and I don't have any traction assistance, and two, I don't want to hook hard off the line and make my 7.5" a two piece unit. You know that whole LOOOONG walk thing? Also note my car is not optimized for drag racing either. It's actually less so than yours is.

The intent of this thread was to discuss the possibility the DA was having on the horrible track times (1.3+ is horrible). It seems that has been answered. Even more so with your input so I thank you for that.

I disagree with doing anything more than scrubbing the pebbles off my ALL-Season street tires. Street tires DON'T need warmed up like DR's or slicks do. If anything long burnouts actually make things worse. Also, I think your infatuation with elevation needs to be readdressed within you. Density Altitude (DA) is elevation AND air temp, pressure, humidity, etc. DA is a far more effective tool at understanding and compensating the different times and traps from different locations or even the same location at different times of year.

As for why I didn't approach you and your group of guys.... According to the Meyers Briggs personality test I am an INTJ. This makes me an Introvert Intuitive Thinking and Judging personality. As in I don't just approach strangers. I mainly talk to people I know and I'm no good at small talk. So, I apologize for not approaching your group and sparking up a conversation as that is not the type of person I am. Although, the same could've been said for you all. I ran against 3 of you and only one of you even talked to me and that was through this forum in a seemingly drunk text sort of way.....

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised if most guys here are INTJ's too. There's a thread on Tech talking about this topic and easily 95% of us guys there are INTJ's too. Read the link above out loud to your other half and see if they don't nod in complete agreement.
HRCSLAM, since you and I have similar setups, when I bought my car it had timeslips in it running 12.2xx 1/4 mile runs to give you an idea of what to expect. Previous owner said he always had traction issues with the car and expected it could run much faster with slicks. All slips were from a dragway near Jacksonville NC in fall which should equate to very low DA.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
HRCSLAM, since you and I have similar setups, when I bought my car it had timeslips in it running 12.2xx 1/4 mile runs to give you an idea of what to expect. Previous owner said he always had traction issues with the car and expected it could run much faster with slicks. All slips were from a dragway near Jacksonville NC in fall which should equate to very low DA.
Yeah, that seems about what I was thinking in good air. Add in a little traction and 11's should be doable. My DA sucks. Maybe after the holiday's I can get down to Phoenix in the cool air and try a few passes.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts