LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went back to the track again to learn how to drive my car better. In short I worked my 60' times down from 2.3-2.2 to 2.0-2.1. More practice is necessary.

But, that is not what this thread is about. There was a ZL1 there that I ran against, along with a G8 GT, and Base Corvette C6 (not sure on year). Here's their results:

[email protected]
[email protected]
G8 [email protected]

So, do we all just suck at driving or was the DA (6140ft) really that bad on our cars?

Here's a video my friend got on my Camera phone of the G8 vs Me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmV0ZhK4ThY

On a side note:
I do think my all-season tires can get me to 1.8-1.9 60' times. Working on it.

My Best Run:
R/T:.........................0.390
60'...........................2.154 (Best 60' was 2.097)
1/8 ET......................8.813
1/8 MPH....................82.90
1000'........................11.362
1/4 ET......................13.491
1/4 MPH....................106.16

Race Weight...............3714
DA............................6140ft.
Track Elevation...........3075ft
Temp........................90.1°F
Baro..........................29.65
Station Pressure..........26.5
Humidity.....................18%
SAE Correction Factor...1.15

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
There is no reason for a C6 and ZL1 to run slower than a G8 unless its heavily modded. They would have all been experiencing the same DA. So they either suck, or the G8 was quick.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There is no reason for a C6 and ZL1 to run slower than a G8 unless its heavily modded. They would have all been experiencing the same DA. So they either suck, or the G8 was quick.
Yeah, when I looked back at the runs, and did some research, now I don't think that G8 was stock. [email protected] is booking it for a 360hp car that is over 4000lbs and at 6100ft DA.

No way it was stock with that trap and altitude. Stock was rated at [email protected] at sea level...

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The DA is killing times bad. I lose about .08 per 1000 DA.
Wow that's a lot of time lost. That's a half second. I still need more practice and better tires as my car should be faster than it is with those traps though.

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Yeah, when I looked back at the runs, and did some research, now I don't think that G8 was stock. [email protected] is booking it for a 360hp car that is over 4000lbs and at 6100ft DA.

No way it was stock with that trap and altitude. Stock was rated at [email protected] at sea level...
Thats about what a G8 runs here stock. A Zl1 should be a mid to low 12sec car if not cracking 11's. Figure a .5 second loss and it should still be faster than the G8. The c6 should also be quicker.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats about what a G8 runs here stock. A Zl1 should be a mid to low 12sec car if not cracking 11's. Figure a .5 second loss and it should still be faster than the G8. The c6 should also be quicker.
We all should've been faster than we were I'm thinking. That's why I'm asking. Seems like we all had horrible times. Traps look good to me for the DA though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hrcslam, let me answer your questions as I was there that evening. No we don't all suck as drivers. Some of us were getting accustomed to our "brand new" car before we started beating on it. And yes you are correct the cars can go much faster than what you saw. In short you should have spoken to the other drivers that attended that evening as only they can answer your questions.

Your times seem to be accurate based on your mods and running at elevation in Tucson (~3,100 feet) and of course the excellent track prep. BTW You need to perform longer burn outs. Those little 1 second burn outs you did that night will not get you anywhere near 13.00 seconds. At least not in Tucson. Look into a line lock.

As for the other drivers...we were all hanging out in the pits together so I know what they ran for the time I was there.

I believe there was only one GTR there that evening (I could be mistaken) and it was running consistently in the 11's all night. The Corvettes and the BMW were putting down good times as well.

As far as the ZL1, it is a brand new car, just completed the break-in period, completely stock. It was the first time to the track with the car so I was babying it to get accustomed to its behavior (See reaction time below). I am not about to drive a $60,000 car into the wall or cause an accident by pushing to the car to its limits the first time(s) out - only an idiot would do that. All my launches were from an idle, in tour mode, no PTM, no launch control, no burn outs, resulting in very slow reaction and 60 foot times. I was driving it as if I was leaving from a stop light and there was a law enforcement officer sitting in the same intersection as well. Additionally, I was granny shifting the car because I am accustomed to the shifter (Pro 5.0) and clutch (Monster Level 3) in my 2002 WS6. Additionally, some of us drove 80 miles one way to Tucson. We blow up our car and it is a LOOOONG walk or very expensive tow home. The numbers below should validate this.

Here are the ZL1 times for the first time down the track:
R/T:.........................0.513
60'...........................2.216
1/8 ET......................8.752
1/8 MPH....................85.60
1000'........................11.180
1/4 ET......................13.220
1/4 MPH....................110.39

BTW You could have approached me (us) with your questions that evening as I had large groups of people standing around my car in the staging lanes and the pits asking me tons of questions about the ZL1. We were having a great time. Oh and don't forget ZL1s are not drag strips cars there were built for the road courses.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was my brand new ZL1. I was only there to get acquainted with the car's handling behavior in a legal and controlled environment. I was not about to drive a $60,000 580 HP car into the wall or cause an accident by pushing to the car to its limits the first outing at the track.

All launches were from an idle, in tour mode, no PTM, no launch control, no burnouts, resulting in very slow reaction and 60 foot times. I was driving as if I were leaving from a stop light that had a LEO sitting next to me at the intersection. Even launching from an idle it was difficult to get the Goodyear F1s to grip (even with traction control enabled) due to the lack of a long burn out.

As the evening progressed, my tires where almost completely embedded with pebbles from the dirty return road and staging lanes that ultimately contributed to the slower times. I ran faster times that evening as well as much slower. It was all about getting accustomed to the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That was my brand new ZL1. I was only at the track to get acquainted with the car's handling behavior in a legal and controlled environment. I was not about to drive a $60,000 580 HP car into the wall or cause an accident by pushing to the car to its limits the first outing at the track.

All launches were from an idle, in tour mode, no PTM, no launch control, no burnouts, resulting in very slow reaction and 60 foot times. I was driving as if I were leaving from a stop light that had a LEO sitting next to me at the intersection. Even launching from an idle it was difficult to get the Goodyear F1s to grip (even with traction control enabled) due to the lack of a long burn out. That 109.90 mph was the slowest trap of the evening for my ZL1.

I ran faster times and traps that evening but as the evening progressed, my tires where almost completely embedded with pebbles from the dirty return road and staging lanes that ultimately contributed to the slower times. I ran faster times that evening as well as much slower. It was all about getting accustomed to the car.

However, next time out I will have drag radials. Then we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey hrcslam next time why don't you "research" by speaking with the owners of the automobiles at the track before demonstrating your passive aggressiveness by selectively posting our slowest times while posting your best time as a comparison.

As the driver of the ZL1 I will tell you why I ran the 13.8 against you. The car is brand new. I am still getting accustomed to a new and strange car, the power, and handling behavior, etc. Street break-in period versus track is night and day.

However, I did run faster times that evening that you neglected to post. Is it because they are faster than your best time?

Anyway check your time slip where you went head to head with that 13.8 seconds ZL1. I toyed with you from start to finish. Check your time slip you will see I sat at the light (RT), spotted you a good chunk of the track (60ft, 330ft, and 1/8th mile) before driving past you then letting off before 1,000 ft and still bested you in time and mph. That shows that there was nothing wrong with the track and the DA was not a factor as it affected all of us.

Additionally, not to be an egotist (I also own a 4th Gen), hateful or hurtful for saying this but by comparison your car is slow. Why would I waste the fuel on an all out run when I can run just enough to best you? It is like the old saying, "I don't have to run faster than the bear, I only have to run faster than you!"

By the way we only have 91 octane here in Arizona. Not the 93 octane you (Greed4Speed) have in Texas. We are at elevation as well (not altitude. Planes fly at altitude.) with dry air and our cars do not perform as well. We get soldiers stationed here from Texas bragging (time slips as proof) about their 11 seconds LS1 cars and yet they can't run anything better than a 13.5.

So before you break out your calculators and your standardization formulas or search the Internet for marketing values, keep in mind that not all of us are running all out or maybe we are not even racing you!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hey hrcslam next time why don't you "research" by speaking with the owners of the automobiles at the track before demonstrating your passive aggressiveness by selectively posting our slowest times while posting your best time as a comparison.

As the driver of the ZL1 I will tell you why I ran the 13.8 against you. The car is brand new. I am still getting accustomed to a new and strange car, the power, and handling behavior, etc. Street break-in period versus track is night and day.

However, I did run faster times that evening that you neglected to post. Is it because they are faster than your best time?

Anyway check your time slip where you went head to head with that 13.8 seconds ZL1. I toyed with you from start to finish. Check your time slip you will see I sat at the light (RT), spotted you a good chunk of the track (60ft, 330ft, and 1/8th mile) before driving past you then letting off before 1,000 ft and still bested you in time and mph. That shows that there was nothing wrong with the track and the DA was not a factor as it affected all of us.

Additionally, not to be an egotist (I also own a 4th Gen), hateful or hurtful for saying this but by comparison your car is slow. Why would I waste the fuel on an all out run when I can run just enough to best you? It is like the old saying, "I don't have to run faster than the bear, I only have to run faster than you!"

By the way we only have 91 octane here in Arizona. Not the 93 octane you (Greed4Speed) have in Texas. We are at elevation as well (not altitude. Planes fly at altitude.) with dry air and our cars do not perform as well. We get soldiers stationed here from Texas bragging (time slips as proof) about their 11 seconds LS1 cars and yet they can't run anything better than a 13.5.

So before you break out your calculators and your standardization formulas or search the Internet for marketing values, keep in mind that not all of us are running all out or maybe we are not even racing you!
Hey, first off, welcome to the forum. It's nice to see someone from Tucson on the board. :LS1LT1flag:

All good info you provided on why your car only ran a 13.8. That answers one of my questions. Thanks for that. You were there with the G8 and C6 right? Can you explain their times too?

If you were messing with me, it worked. LOL. I couldn't believe I was in front. I missed third twice because of that, twice. If I grabbed it you wouldn't have passed even if you tried. And my time I posted against you wasn't my best of the night as I ran a 14.028 on that run from missing third twice.

My little LT1 certainly isn't a 580 hp monster, but at 414rwhp our power to weight ratio's are much closer than you think.
Your Stock (??) 2014 ZL1: 4118 curb weight /497rwhp = 8.285lbs/hp
My 1995 Camaro Z28: 3342 curb weight /414rwhp = 8.074lbs/hp.

I don't buy you let off at 1000' as your trap (109 @ 6100DA) begs to differ with your claim. But, you should have passed as I was out of it when I tried to grab third and missed twice (meaning I was out of the throttle since about 75mph) just before the 1/8 and didn't grab third until 1000' mark when you passed and I trapped only 100.4mph. It does explain why it took you so long to pass though.

I'm still learning how to get my car out of the hole (no launch mode or traction control for me) and I have all-season tires on my car (I should have better tires next summer) unlike your tires that are made specifically for the warm temps and prepped surface at the track that night. Hence my crappy 2.0-2.1 60' times.

Please stop acting all high and mighty (egotist?, really?). The post in question had to do with the slow times across the board (everyone there was running slower than they should've that night, not just you and me brother) and what effect the 6100+ DA was having. The reason only those times were posted was because those were the only times I had to post with cars I know should've been running faster. Passive aggressiveness? Really? If I had your fastest, all out, run of the night, I would've posted that and still had the exact same question. Please feel free to provide that information as it is pertinent to the original question. I too was busy trying to learn my car and drive my car to notice the other times you posted; my car was recently rebuilt.

Not sure where the 91 Octane comment is coming from as no one here mentioned octane ratings. But you may want to brush up on 91 vs 93 and altitude (not elevation).

To clarify elevation vs altitude, you'll notice BOTH are posted. Yes we are at elevation, but we rarely get DA's in the 2700-3000ft range of our elevation. For example, right now it's 9:43am in Tucson, AZ on 11 December 2014 and our DA is still 200ft higher than our elevation. Many other places are getting UNDER sea level at this time of the year. That'd be nice right? Those places also get the 93 Octane. I'm sure you notice quite the power difference between winter and summer here. It's due to DA (altitude) not elevation.

Planes do fly at altitude only because altitude is a reference from an object NOT on the ground above sea level; where elevation is the height of the ground or an object on the ground above sea level.

Density altitude (which is primarily used in aviation and racing) is the relative density of the air (read: not ground) that is equivalent to the altitude of air in a given ambient condition over sea level. In aviation, we use a baro correction to determine Actual Altitude (equivalent to elevation) using the DA the aircraft instruments are reading. The baro correction changes based on when and where we are taking off or landing at.

BTW, it's also worth noting: my tune was off (now fixed) and my clutch was slipping a little bit (since upgraded) and one of my injectors had a loose connection causing it to stop working (7 cylinders) intermittently (also fixed).

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Wtf. I run all out every time. I like to be on the return road while you are still trying to get to the finish :roflmao:
Playing with other cars is fun, I did it the last time I raced my car. Let em get you off the line, then reel em in and blast past em.

Wish I could have lined up against a land barge of a 5th gen though. Next season :roflmao:

But... you really joined to point out this discrepancy??

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wtf. I run all out every time. I like to be on the return road while you are still trying to get to the finish :roflmao:
One day my car will be fast enough to do this, and I might even have the skill to make it do it. LOL.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Playing with other cars is fun, I did it the last time I raced my car. Let em get you off the line, then reel em in and blast past em.

Wish I could have lined up against a land barge of a 5th gen though. Next season :roflmao:

But... you really joined to point out this discrepancy??
One day my car will be fast enough for this too. LOL.

Now I really wish I didn't miss 3rd. I mean I wish I didn't miss before, but if he was toying with me and I didn't miss third then he wouldn't have passed no matter how hard he tried.

Now that my tune is dialed in again and my clutch isn't slipping anymore I would like to run him all out. Although, my tires are still all seasons.....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should see his 3 other posts, they are funny. He started at 5:40 am too. And had to edit them. I'll wait for his response....
?? I'm confused. Who's other three posts?

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
?? I'm confused. Who's other three posts?
RedZL1. I restored them since he didn't come back. Each one has several edits too. Funny stuff. Pebbles make my car slower too! Damn dirty return roads! But my 1 second burnouts do get me 1.5 60's......

·
Registered
861 Posts
Funny stuff here

1 - 20 of 25 Posts