LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read on what they are and how to do them, but never seen anything as to what their benefits are. Can anyone enlighten me? I'll be in a position to do the MAF de-screen and TB bypass today, as I have to clean my IAC. I figured if there's a point to doing it I might as well while I have stuff off...

·
Registered
30 Posts
The MAF sensor screen limits good intake flow, so taking it out makes your intake flow better, which equals more power. The throttle body has coolant that flows through it. The sole purpose for this is to warm the incoming air, as warm air makes cleaner emmisions than cold air. However, as we all know, cold air makes more power, so bypassing the throttle body gives you colder air, which equals more power. Granted, these don't give you that much more power, but every little bit counts, and besides, they're free!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dustin, descreening ur MAF can often times cause the car to not run right. Some cars run okay, some do not. I wouldn't recommend the "MAF DESCREENING MOD" If u choose to do it take extreme caution in removing the screen. If it causes u probs then u can put it back in.
The throttle body bypass is a decent mod, i have done this mod as well. Quick, simple. A guy on here had his dynoed with this mod and yielded i believe 7 hp, 3 tq. Personally after discussing it with a friend, the air isnt going to cool off that fast bcuz it is traveling too fast into the intake. I believe you will gain 3 hp. Again, ialso have this mod.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Do not descreen your MAF. This was done by a lot of people early on when they did not know any better. Tuners soon found out that descreening caused issues an made it hard to tune. Leave it alone. The downsides are more than the upsides.

The TB bypass keeps the TB a bit cooler and shows some proven gains as Workman stated. Its purpose is not for emissions, but to keep the TB blades from freezing during extended driving in very cold weather. No one has ever reported an issue in cold climates (even Canada) from doing the bypass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, screen will remain in, TB bypass will be done. no need for silencer delete 'cause I have a Trick Flow intake elbow ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmm, must have be given wrong info for why they sent coolant through the tb. I have my MAF descreened and my car seems to run fine, what happens when you descreen it that messes up? Mine is a b body, though if that would make a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
i'm very skeptical about the gains people report with the coolant bypass, as the throttle body is surely not an effective heat exchanger, but agree it's a good thing, if for no other reason than making working on your car easier. the more crap you remove from an LT1 engine bay the better

the reason the maf de-screening messes stuff up is that the maf is a carefully calibrated measuring device. the screen (although not necessary) was in place when the maf calibration table from your car was created, and it does affect how the sensor reads, by straightening airflow across the wires.

you could easily remove the screen and dick around with the maf tables until it reads properly again, but who would be willing to do that. the screen probably flows better than your air filter, so it's not really in the way of anything...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had been planning on waiting to tune the car until I redid the exhaust, but the car needs retuning now. so I bought the tunercat software and a tune from PCMforless and had them do AIR delete... so I'll get a little clutter out of my engine bay when all my stuff arrives.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
de cone of silence can be done pretty easy with a cap inside the hole... it is always better to get a smooth intake but for the $$$ spent its worth it..
another couple of things you can add now since you have the tuner is EGR and AIR pump delete. you will need to fabricate or buy block off plates, or do as I did with coins and epoxy, blocking them out :)
in the manifolds once you delete the tubing you can cut the tube use the same nut that it had to plug into the exhaust and place a coin in between blocking them out.

another nice thing you can do is make a scoop under the air filter box, at the bottom of the bumper so you can have a nice cold air hitting the air filter box..

always reducing weight is a free mod.... taking out things that you dont want use or like can make a huge difference on how the car runs brakes and turns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new to the site I don't know a whole lot on Terminology about my car. What are you guys talking about? And tb, throttle body? Sorry if I sound stupid I'm just trying to get more in tune with my vehicle. I apologize again for sounding dumb

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the LT1 FAQ thread at the top of this sub-forum has all the acronyms, but TB, is throttle body, IAC is Idle Air Control, ORY is off-road y-pipe, that ought to get you started.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Personally, I don't understand why everyone wants to delete the EGR. From everything I've read about it, it only helps your engine. It helps it run cooler and gives better fuel mileage, and the power it MAY lose is negligible. The only thing it really accomplishes is uncluttering the engine bay, but to me it doesn't seem worth it. Just saying.

·
Registered
265 Posts
From what I've researched, having a Aftermarket cam makes the EGR useless and in SOME cases causes issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well yes, if you have enough valve overlap, but I thought we were talking about a stock motor. In that instance, it's not practical.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My bad, I mis-read what you meant :)

I'll have the wife spank me when she gets home.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts