LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the aftermath of a spun bearing...ouch! the bearings were actually stacked on top of each other when i took out the rod (which was pretty much stuck on there)

probably just gonna file the journal down flat and reuse the crank (sarcasm) :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
807 Posts
Generally speaking, does that happen mostly with high mileage motors
that are being ran hard or improper clearancing,or is it an inherrant problem with the LT1?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I was pretty close to doing this to mine, my motor saw 7 grand when i beat on it everyday merging on the interstate. Luckly my trans blew up and i decided to replace my oil pan gasket and did some inspecting.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
mine went out because i was going wide open one day and my trans wouldnt shift so it did a little WA WA WA WA WA off the rev limiter and let go.

so Mystery, is this is my initiation? haha

Ed, as far as plans for the motor, i have some longtubes already, delete EGR/AIR, and im going back and fourth between a 355, and a 383. My builder quoted me almost identical prices for the two kits because they are basically the same number of components. But the stuff he suggested was cast stuff and after doing some research.... i definitely want to go forged

the only problem is that the money for the top end (h/c) is about a year away, so i figure this is my chance to get the bottom end squared away, and then wait patiently, save some dough, and do a heads and cam swap. Im looking at the LE1 package

so its either choke out a stock headed 383 until i can afford to let it breathe, or run a stock headed 355 and do the LE1 swap when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
mine went out because i was going wide open one day and my trans wouldnt shift so it did a little WA WA WA WA WA off the rev limiter and let go.

so Mystery, is this is my initiation? haha

Ed, as far as plans for the motor, i have some longtubes already, delete EGR/AIR, and im going back and fourth between a 355, and a 383. My builder quoted me almost identical prices for the two kits because they are basically the same number of components. But the stuff he suggested was cast stuff and after doing some research.... i definitely want to go forged

the only problem is that the money for the top end (h/c) is about a year away, so i figure this is my chance to get the bottom end squared away, and then wait patiently, save some dough, and do a heads and cam swap. Im looking at the LE1 package

so its either choke out a stock headed 383 until i can afford to let it breathe, or run a stock headed 355 and do the LE1 swap when the time comes.
Nah, how about inspiration, to build bigger and better. I would seriously consider what KW Baraka has for sale.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yeah KW is the better bang for buck and should make you really happy...unless you want to keep original engine. Heck the deal is just too gooood.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Shop around.

Too bad your not in southern California as i would like to donate my original crankshaft to a good cause - its still sitting in the original block will 'bout 150k mi on it (just polish it and go). Well my original had only 140psi in #8 so when i went shopping for a rebuildble core LT1 i found a brand new LT1 still in the crate. $1300 out the door. A shop had it for a customer for a repower that never installed it.

If your near a big town u gott'a start using craigs list. I turned down a complete used LT1 for $150 - because i already have one sitting in the garage. But got the intake, injectors and TB for 40 bucks.

Good luck and post your progress,
cardo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts