LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I`m Brian and I live in Scotland. On the hunt for a 4th gen Camaro. Been and seen a 1999 Z28 but it was a bit rough, needing a good bit of work but have seen this one in the link below. Any input on it? I`m still learning about what to look for and whats good and not good.

Used Chevrolet Camaro Hatchback in South Godstone, Surrey | G & M Motor Company

Seems ok. Only bad point is it has slight `play` in the rear wheel bearings so not sure what that involves.

Looking forward to getting into Camaro ownership :LS1LT1flag:

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
Are all American cars that expensive across the pond? Thats like 18,000 US dollars . Over here, that much money would get you a car with 10-20 thousand miles. and good rear wheel bearings.

And welcome to the forum Brian.

Also go to 4th gen section, look for thread titled GM service manuals" There are factory service manuals, to download, for the 99, if you decide to buy it, as well as, 94, 96, 98, & 00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are all American cars that expensive across the pond? Thats like 18,000 US dollars . Over here, that much money would get you a car with 10-20 thousand miles. and good rear wheel bearings.

And welcome to the forum Brian.

Also go to 4th gen section, look for thread titled GM service manuals" There are factory service manuals, to download, for the 99, if you decide to buy it, as well as, 94, 96, 98, & 00

Thanks man,
I know its top dollar and I`ve been informed its too much so I`m reconcidering. Theres a 155k mile Z28 for around $7000 thats been looked after so that might be a better option. I think American cars carry a premium price due to their rarity. The jury is out. :cool:

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Glad to see you are looking at LS1 cars. Its a strong platform for the most part. The rear is a big weakness though. Besides it not being strong enough, the pinion seal tends to leak. 155k mi on the odometer may be fine, but I would buy with the the expectation of sensors and emissions equipment to be on the downside of their lifecycle and possible engine, trans, and rear end issues requiring rebuild (ie. up grades). As with any high milage car, check fluids and maintenance history. Besides oil... if the coolant, trans, power steering, rear end, and brake fluid have never been changed then it has been neglected in my book. Walk away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Glad to see you are looking at LS1 cars. Its a strong platform for the most part. The rear is a big weakness though. Besides it not being strong enough, the pinion seal tends to leak. 155k mi on the odometer may be fine, but I would buy with the the expectation of sensors and emissions equipment to be on the downside of their lifecycle and possible engine, trans, and rear end issues requiring rebuild (ie. up grades). As with any high milage car, check fluids and maintenance history. Besides oil... if the coolant, trans, power steering, rear end, and brake fluid have never been changed then it has been neglected in my book. Walk away.
Thanks for that. car below is the 150k mile car. Apparently very well serviced and cared for. At 4k its a good price. Proof of the pudding is in the driving. Thing is, its another 500 mile trip to see it. Man, thats the downside of American cars here. Theres hardly any. :(

·
Runs with scissors
3,683 Posts
Someone did the "whistler mod" to the headlights. Thats the black inside. It has an extra side light and different mirrors. Must be due to UK specs??? No antenna or is it retractable? At least the steering wheel is on the correct side. :D

From the pic it looks decent. Red 4th gens are the slowest though..... just kidding. Mine was red too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts