LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had someone come out and look at my car.. something is leaking oil and hitting the exhaust causing it to smoke. Can't find the source. Thunder Racing screwed me when I had them rebuild my transmission.. (they stole parts, ripped me off etc.) I either have to have someone rebuild it again or look for a new 4L60e transmission. Any advice?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Did you check your valve covers for leaks? What part of the exhaust is the oil leaking on? A few more details would help? What is the tranny doin?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for my lack of knowledge.. it's my first sports car and I'm a 21 year old girl trying to figure this out on my own. I checked my transmission oil and there were metal shavings in it. So I believe it may be the torque convertor coming apart. Transmission oil is leaking on the ground. I believe the oil may be coming from the valve cover gasket or maybe the oil cooler adaptor. Wherever it's coming from its leaking onto the headers and burning. Also, when I last drove it, it almost felt as if it were stuck between gears? It wasn't accelerating correctly and just sucking through gas. And when I got it back from Thunder it had problems.. I'm not sure why but when I would get into fourth gear it would shift really low and make this god awful noise. A very low chugging noise.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Oil leaking on the headers sounds like a valve cover gasket. An easy fix. Your tranny, however, sounds like it could be more of a problem. Its not the torque converter that's causing the shaving. That sounds like your friction gears but I could be wrong. Does the tranny have a warrenty? If so take it back ASAP!

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you rebuild the trans, you'll need to find a reputable trans-shop first.
Even then, who knows how high the bill can climb, once they crack it open.

I would find a shop, tell them what the problem is, and get a price quote to look at it.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I just got my 4l60e built by starias transmissions on long Island. They have a car that dyno like 630hp through the same transmission. I'm looking to do a t56 swap and willing to possibly sell the transmission soon if you're interested. But it won't be for about another month.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
449 Posts
If u have metal shavings it could be coming from anywhere. Does it feel like it slipping or grinding or anything? Make sure you get both converter and trans looked at. Can buy a rebuilt or new trans and use same converter without a cleaning cause the trans will get recontaminated with shavings or visa versa. Ive gone through 2 4l60es. If a shop is to much then check out performabuilt.

·
Global Moderator
13,430 Posts
The forum has 2 professional transmission re builders. Members dynamic396 & cahall both are 4l60e experts and will do you right on a rebuild. Pm one or both and see what they can do for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts