LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok after reading a lot of Google searches I figured this was a good forum to join. Ive built several engines over the years but this is my first Gen 2 LT.

Had an unexpected #1 rod bearing failure with 40 PSI idle oil pressure and full pan of Castrol high mileage synthetic. Car only has 57k miles and ive had it a couple years since buying it from the second owner. The machine shop is going to try to get an idea of WHY as we start the build.

Objective:

No more bearing issues as pulling the motor from a manual trans Vette is a royal PITA. This is a fun driver/weekend car/occasional 1/4 mile type of build. Power brakes and A/C is a must.

Parts that are already on the way:

LLoyd Elliot cams 227-235, 565-579 110 LSA and Lunati spring kit.
Manley H-beams with ARP 2000 bolts.
Manley Forged pistons 11:1
Stock crank ground 10/20
Will be balanced once the assembly lands at the shop.
Comp Cams steel full rollers.
Stock heads and valves with mild porting/port matching.
ARP studs for mains and heads (since most of the head bolts are water jacketed).
Canton road race pan.
Spec, single mass, aluminum flywheel, clutch.

Ill start with a list of opinion questions as the engine is currently at the machine shop and I still have some things to order.

Electric water pump or get a new mechanical?
If electric, drill the 2 front cam drive freeze plug holes (0.030) like stock or leave plugged? Standard SBC single roller timing kit then?
OEM lifters like LS-9 a good idea? I want to keep the OEM spider style setup.
Oil pump?
The shop recommended 0.0025 to 0.0030 bearing oil clearance and im on board with that. I ran my LS much tighter but thats an aluminum block. If so what weight oil would be best 10-30? Las Vegas gets hot in the summer and COLD in the winter.
MLS head gaskets? Im shooting for zero deck and 0.030 squish.
Will Comp Cams steel roller rockers clear OEM plastic valve covers?
Anyone want to guess what this should make at the rear wheels?

I have Mike Mavrigians LT-1/LT-4 book and have read about 80% through it. Just finished my L-76 with LSA blower for my 69 Chevelle so I dont want to go too crazy on this, "unexpected build".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok after reading a lot of Google searches I figured this was a good forum to join. Ive built several engines over the years but this is my first Gen 2 LT.

Had an unexpected #1 rod bearing failure with 40 PSI idle oil pressure and full pan of Castrol high mileage synthetic. Car only has 57k miles and ive had it a couple years since buying it from the second owner. The machine shop is going to try to get an idea of WHY as we start the build.

Objective:

No more bearing issues as pulling the motor from a manual trans Vette is a royal PITA. This is a fun driver/weekend car/occasional 1/4 mile type of build. Power brakes and A/C is a must.

Parts that are already on the way:

LLoyd Elliot cams 227-235, 565-579 110 LSA and Lunati spring kit.
Manley H-beams with ARP 2000 bolts.
Manley Forged pistons 11:1
Stock crank ground 10/20
Will be balanced once the assembly lands at the shop.
Comp Cams steel full rollers.
Stock heads and valves with mild porting/port matching.
ARP studs for mains and heads (since most of the head bolts are water jacketed).
Canton road race pan.
Spec, single mass, aluminum flywheel, clutch.

Ill start with a list of opinion questions as the engine is currently at the machine shop and I still have some things to order.

Electric water pump or get a new mechanical?
If electric, drill the 2 front cam drive freeze plug holes (0.030) like stock or leave plugged? Standard SBC single roller timing kit then?
OEM lifters like LS-9 a good idea? I want to keep the OEM spider style setup.
Oil pump?
The shop recommended 0.0025 to 0.0030 bearing oil clearance and im on board with that. I ran my LS much tighter but thats an aluminum block. If so what weight oil would be best 10-30? Las Vegas gets hot in the summer and COLD in the winter.
MLS head gaskets? Im shooting for zero deck and 0.030 squish.
Will Comp Cams steel roller rockers clear OEM plastic valve covers?
Anyone want to guess what this should make at the rear wheels?

I have Mike Mavrigians LT-1/LT-4 book and have read about 80% through it. Just finished my L-76 with LSA blower for my 69 Chevelle so I dont want to go too crazy on this, "unexpected build".
At least port the heads out to fit the lt4 intake.... and buy the lt4 intake off me and be better off

350 shipped if you want it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts