LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to I-57 dragstrip tonight, and I was pretty happy with the results. My best run in the 1/8th was 8.648 seconds at 84.26 mph. The mods to the car are in my signature, can anyone give me an idea of what gears I may have?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are M6 then 3:42's

·
Registered
132 Posts
TBH the best results I got with my car was long tube headers and off road Y pipe. Going from 2.73 to 3.73 gears didnt really help my auto stalled 2800. Which seems odd but I have the time slips to prove it and I even DA calculated it out and it still wasnt much gain. I don't even think I got a full .1 off the 1/4 with gears. CAI, Elbow with Airlfoil, Headers with off road Y, 160 Thermostat, Removing AIR and EGR, and 2800 stall took my car from 14.4 in the quarter to a 13.66 without gears, slicks or tune. Drag radials, gears, and tune got me to 13.23.

·
Registered
132 Posts
TBH the best results I got with my car was long tube headers and off road Y pipe. Going from 2.73 to 3.73 gears didnt really help my auto stalled 2800. Which seems odd but I have the time slips to prove it and I even DA calculated it out and it still wasnt much gain. I don't even think I got a full .1 off the 1/4 with gears. CAI, Elbow with Airlfoil, Headers with off road Y, 160 Thermostat, Removing AIR and EGR, and 2800 stall took my car from 14.4 in the quarter to a 13.66 without gears, slicks or tune. Drag radials, gears, and tune got me to 13.23.
Which was 8.4 in the 1/8th.

·
Registered
132 Posts
But the best way to determine what gears you have (which is info you must have when ordering gears becuase cars that came with 2.xx gears have a different carrier than those that came with 3.xx gears) is to jack up the back of the car with both wheels off the ground and spin the wheel one full revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins. However many times the driveshaft spins is what gears you have. For instance when I jacked up the back of my car and spun the tire one full revolution the driveshaft spun 2 3/4 times meaning I had 2.73 gears. Now that I have 3.73 gears the drive shaft would spin 3 3/4 times with one revolution of the wheel.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But the best way to determine what gears you have (which is info you must have when ordering gears becuase cars that came with 2.xx gears have a different carrier than those that came with 3.xx gears) is to jack up the back of the car with both wheels off the ground and spin the wheel one full revolution and count how many times the driveshaft spins. However many times the driveshaft spins is what gears you have. For instance when I jacked up the back of my car and spun the tire one full revolution the driveshaft spun 2 3/4 times meaning I had 2.73 gears. Now that I have 3.73 gears the drive shaft would spin 3 3/4 times with one revolution of the wheel.
Thanks, I'd never heard of this method, I'll give it a try next time I have it jacked up. By the way the car is an A4.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
The best way to know what gears you have is to look at the numbers stamped on the gears when you have the cover off to change the gear lube (which on most cars has never been done, and is therefore overdue).

Divide the larger number by the smaller number. That, rounded off to two decimal places, is your gear ratio.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts