LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.Ist it possible use normal top pole battery (enough room)on 4 gen firebird ? Sidepole battery is expencive here in finland.

·
Global Moderator
13,566 Posts
Yes you can, if you change the terminals. Here in America, many batteries come with side and top terminals so stores won't have to stock many different batteries. The top terminals don't interfere with anything. They do, however, cause more corrosion and acid leaking out of battery, so I would clean the batter terminals on a regular basis to prevent corrosion of bodywork and cables.

GM switched to side post batteries in around 1973 or 1974 and have used them ever since.

Welcome to the forum, we're always glad to have members in other countries that love American iron.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You can get the side post batteries here in England but they are damn expensive.
I just converted mine to the more usual top terminal battery type, not because of cost but corrosion had gotten into the rubber cap on the positive terminal causing a bad connection. As they are part of the wiring loom [and no chance of getting any here] I converted to the top post type.
It does mean there is a wider choice of batteries, the one I use now is found on the Ford Focus C-Max amongst others.
Shame as I now have a good GM side post battery sat around. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.My old battery died and car didn't start.Its cold here in Finland hrrr.
Dont like to do any wire jobs outside and bought Exide side post battery.110 euros :/ hope it last few years.Old one was 10 old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts