LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Innova 5610 is the scanner.

Does it have EVAP diagnostics? Asking because I have intermittent gas smells in the rear of the car, where the charcoal canister is located. I did have code P1441 a few years ago and had to replace the EVAP purge solenoid, a year later P1441 came back so I had the canister replaced and the lines blown through to clear the charcoal pellets (the solenoid had some pellets causing it to be stuck open).

Just recently the gas smell kinda went away....but the last time that happened it was from the purge solenoid being stuck open, and got the SES light for P1441 which prompted me to replace the charcoal canister and the purge solenoid at the same time.

Right now I do not have the SES light, and when I plugged the scanner in it automatically checked for DTC's and reported no powertrain DTC's or freeze frame data. Does that mean I also do not have any "pending" codes (EVAP in particular)?

·
Global Moderator
13,506 Posts
Sounds like you have no codes right now, but who knows what the future might bring. If you haven't done so, download the 96 factory service manual. It will have code info including,what makes the code set, troubleshooting code, and what wiring, connectors, grounds, & other components are involved in system.

www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks cocobolo....just checking back in to state that I am still good for now. I did check the purge solenoid and was not able to blow through it (which I believe is how it should be unless it is energized....the old ones that I replaced a while back I was able to blow through, and when I tapped the solenoid I saw some charcoal come out of where the hoses connect).

I am wondering if whatever was causing the smell finally cleared itself up as I've also been getting much smoother cold starts, overall better driveability, etc. I also started using Stabil 360 to keep the fuel stable since it's an occasional driver.

·
Registered
79 Posts
save yourself some greif dont top off your fuel tank the fuel over flows into spout near the gas cap flushes the charcoal
into vac lines and pow youve got charcoal in your solenoid holding it from closing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts