LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

After I got rid of my B-body engine (spun a bearing) I decided to keep my original setup of a header tank (1999 Chevy Malibu) so I could keep my almost new radiator (a 1996 corvette all aluminium radiator).

However after my F-body engine blew a head gasket, I got to thinking about my coolant system. Since I've been slowly but surely repairing the damage, i did some research and found that while the B-body had the same PSI rating as the Malibu tank (15psi) the F-body is 18 psi. It makes sense why the old tank blew in the heat, causing the car to over heat and blow the head gasket.

So now, I'm looking for some other options so that I may keep my water pump and radiator. Does any one have any ideas so that I may keep my expensive bits? I was thinking a remote filler neck, but I don't know if that's a good idea because of how the hoses from the water pump are situated -- i guess I could just splice it in, but I don't think it'd be at the top of my cooling system and i'd wind up with a ton of air. In the Fbody, wasn't the filler cap all the way up by the firewall?

My other idea was to find a header tank with a higher PSI rating. My third option is to ditch my radiator, water pump and coolant tank and go to a straight F-body setup -- sure fire, but the most expensive.

Does anyone have any ideas of what i could do?

Thanks!

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Me, I'd go with the f-body setup. You don't have to spend a ton of cash on new either. Search your you-pull-it's for 4th gen f-body cooling stuff. I've been a part picker for many years, you'd be surprised at how many brand new parts I've found in the junk yard.

It seems like many people pour money into their older cars, then reach a point where they say "the hell with it" then send it to the salvage guy.

Also search craigslist for 4th gen cooling parts. Many people parting out 4th gens. Look for the ones with new or fairly new cooling system parts. And be patient, if you don't find it today, maybe you will, tomorrow, or next week.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
for starters if you want to keep your car cooler you start off with a lower temp thermostat, have the fans kick in sooner, you can think about using water wetter instead of coolant or just water. usually cars I work on for long races we have noticed a 20°c temperature drop average through the whole race...

·
Banned
489 Posts
Are u ready for this?

I'm getting ready to cut vents in the top of the hood. I raced at Vegas last year in 100* heat at 2,500' altitude and the car was a total dog. I see Chevy and Ford both are putting holes in the hood (ZL1 camaro) to get more heat out. I really want real functional louvers like the Gen 3 camaro's fake louvers. But man its gonn'a be a job and a half to do it right.:eek:

Just though i would pass this on to u as i can see u are into modding,
cardo

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I'm getting ready to cut vents in the top of the hood. I raced at Vegas last year in 100* heat at 2,500' altitude and the car was a total dog. I see Chevy and Ford both are putting holes in the hood (ZL1 camaro) to get more heat out. I really want real functional louvers like the Gen 3 camaro's fake louvers. But man its gonn'a be a job and a half to do it right.:eek:

Just though i would pass this on to u as i can see u are into modding,
cardo
not such of a great idea on the stock camaro hood, your vents wont take any air over 50mph, but it will take loads of water into directly to your manifolds or headers.
did them on mine, no difference at all. got some new stock ones, cause you can take this off and cut them out... again not worth it at all
the drop vent which the ZL1 has, if you take a look it does nave the water channels to the sides, plus its in a area which it will not affect you, basically takes the heat out instead of letting air come in.

but hey, if you wanna try go for it, just dont expect lots of watter into you engine on rainy days..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just do the fan mod, all you need is a switch and 10min. My car has had it done for over 2 years now. Any time I know I'm going to be stuck in traffic or at a drive thru I flip the switch and she stays nice and cool.

The fans on these cars are programmed to come on after the car gets way to hot, and then the fan has to play catch up to remove the heat. Get a switch so it never has to see a high temp to begin with.

·
Banned
489 Posts
not such of a great idea on the stock camaro hood, your vents wont take any air over 50mph, but it will take loads of water into directly to your manifolds or headers.
did them on mine, no difference at all. got some new stock ones, cause you can take this off and cut them out... again not worth it at all
the drop vent which the ZL1 has, if you take a look it does nave the water channels to the sides, plus its in a area which it will not affect you, basically takes the heat out instead of letting air come in.

but hey, if you wanna try go for it, just dont expect lots of watter into you engine on rainy days..

First of all i do little driving in the rain - use my truck on rainy days. Yes the vents take some engineering but not alot. You would probaly know u can use little yarn strips (called tuffs) to verify the airflow. And it gets my attention that after having this idea for my camaro for years now the factories are visiting it. But its too low on my to do list to start cutting the metal right now. A lot of tedius measurements and cutting and bending metal to get to look good. Just thought i would pass it along to someone looking for increased cooling. And for our cars as u tried it too shows we need more cool.:D
Thx for sharing,
cardo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts