LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys quick backstory car ran great like new my dumb self accidentally went from 3rd to 2nd needless to say 3 bent valves 2 on passenger 1 on driver side. Ok checked all valves replaced the only 3 that were bent/wouldn't close up tight. Alright just got car back together hasn't been ran or cranked since last August car cranks up fine I'dles great car starts popping from driver side exhaust pipe,thought we found the problem was the hose that runs from the bottom nipple on the side of the throttle body runs to the Evap thing lol. Put it on car stops popping. Get everything buttoned up crank the car to go for a spin it idles abt a minute CLUNK! Car cuts off bent 3 pushrods both on cylinder 2 and one on the exhaust valve of number 4. Check everything notice the poly locks in my rockers look extremely backed out and I believe 3 of my pushrods were from another engine coincidence 3 broke? Anyways shot in the dark I buy 3 new pushrods put them in fire the car up idles and runs great I take it for a spin I don't go above 3k rpm runs good I get back let it idle and it pops through the exhaust again. We run through and double check all the valves everything's good. We watch the rockers with the car running all looks well BUT when you first touch the key to turn the car over the rocker on the the exhaust valve of the #1 cylinder doesn't move for a couple seconds? Last time I saw this issue I had an oil gally plug pop out and wiped the front 4 lobes off my cam -_- so here's my question what do you guys think my problem is here lol I'm at a loss and any advice is very much appreciated thanks guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has new valve seals installed those when I replaced the 3 valves. 1 pushrod had a bend and the other 2 were bent in the shape of an L almost broke into

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stock studs on stock ported heads. Like I said I believe my dad and I may have accidentally stuck 3 or more pushrods from another 350sbc into this engine I mean what would pushrod length matter in this situation with an exhaust pop and rocker not moving when others do? Also if it matters it has all new lifters as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan to replace all 16 pushrods but what do you believe to be causing the one rocker to not move for a few seconds before the others and my exhaust pop issue?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think your exhaust pop has something to do with that one rocker arm not moving. Theres some good info on valve train adjustments in the sticky section. If you have a build sheet and your sure thats what you have, use it as reference when ordering new parts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We'll clearly there has to be a connection between the pop and the rocker what I need to know is why that rockers not moving I need ideas and things to look for guys

·
Registered
366 Posts
So does that one rocker stay immobile the whole time the engine is running or just for a few seconds while your cranking it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Only when cranking it for abt 3-4 seconds.just to note on it I do see oil on that rocker and seems to be pumping through the pushrod.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
it is likely you have that pushrod so bent that it's stuck up, you are setting preload falsely thinking zero lash is just the point that it wedges in the bore. engine runs, lifter pumps up (probably just bouncing off the cam, since there isnt much tension on it), finally pumps up far enough to move the pushrod.

who knows what other damage you've done, though.

that entire top end needs to come off. cam lobes, timing set, lifters, pushrods, and valves need to be inspected properly and replaced if necessary before you do anything else. dont just put new pushrods in there; you got issues. tear it down and check it

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What makes me so mad is I've had to tear into this engine more than I've driven the damn car. I'm past the point of tearing into the internals of this car again I'm more into selling it as an exhaust pop issue and taking the cash and walking. I'm just abt done with the car world and racing I have a 3yr old and not a good enough job to continue to spend money and tear into this car thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But on another note of reply to that I promise you that my valves are set correctly I have my 56yr old father a mechanic of many years and certifications set these valves and also my 73 yr old grandfather with abt 50 years hot rod experience I however haven't checked that pushrod yet to see if it's bent. I ran out of daylight and had a hungry daughter lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From what I could see looking the pushrod doesn't look bent at all to me so I'm beginning to think I lost that oil galley plug again and have no oil to the #2 cylinder wiping off my cam lobes again an I refuse to do another rebuild on this car.

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
that'd be weird; oil galley plugs flying out like that? that doesn't happen that often, to be happening twice

who the hell is assembling these things for you?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first time it came out the engine had been fully rebuilt from the ground up by rpm motorsports in garner nc. I've had so many issues from those guys regarding this pos engine I paid for its not worth talking about I'd never suggest them for anything. Bad part is everyone says their a great shop and highly recommended I politely disagree. When the plug was put back in I did the install myself with a new plug needless to say after that a new cam,lifters car was a rocket ran find until my dumbass missed a shift leading into this tragedy.

·
Global Moderator
13,437 Posts
I'd say take a deep breath, get some playtime with your child, then dig your heels in and start again. You couldn't in good conscience unload your car on a unsuspecting buyer, could you? So if you sell, it would have to be at a low price, then you'd have to find another car, more money, and perhaps it would be a troublesome car also.

So if you want to sell, fix it first then get decent money for the car, have a clear conscience. But I believe once she's purring like a kitten, you'll forget about selling her.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts