LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 1984 GMC that I sawpped a 305 for a 95 LT1 350. I put a manual transmission in my truck and needed to put in a bigger starter now the stock LT1 heads don't fit because of the starter. I was wondering what kind of long tube heads you guys recommend. I'm not sure if any GM 350 sbc heads work because of the exhaust ports on the heads then selves thanks!

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
You can't use sbc heads on a lt1 engine. They are completely different . Stock lt1 starter is a gear reduction type and should turn your engine over just fine. If stock starter didn't there's either something wrong with starter system, or you got something wrong with your trans install.

Have you tried removing spark plugs and trying starter then? Try that, if engine still won't turn over, try turning engine over by hand. That will tell you if engine turns freely or if something is locked up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't use sbc heads on a lt1 engine. They are completely different . Stock lt1 starter is a gear reduction type and should turn your engine over just fine. If stock starter didn't there's either something wrong with starter system, or you got something wrong with your trans install.

Have you tried removing spark plugs and trying starter then? Try that, if engine still won't turn over, try turning engine over by hand. That will tell you if engine turns freely or if something is locked up.
The motor has ran before. The problem I'm running into is the passenger side exhaust. I won't be able to out my exhaust system because the exhaust head is in the way of the starter. I need to buy a different set of exhaust heads so I can put my exhaust system together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also had to put a bigger starter on so I can turn the flywheel for the manual transmission. My old 700R4 had the flex plate which turned just fine. The flywheel is heavier so it needs a bigger starter to turn the flywheel

·
Global Moderator
13,060 Posts
Was the 95 lt1 out of a f-body, corvette, buick roadmaster, caprice, or impala ss? Are the exhaust manifolds stock or does it have some type of header. Either shorty, mid length, or long tube?

I ask because your exhaust manifold for each of the different models that lt1 came in, would be slightly different. The starter that would fit would be the one that came with the original car lt1 came out of.

Fitting long tube headers would be a problem as I know of no company that sells a kit to combine lt1 headers and a mid 80's chevy truck. Besides, they probably wouldn't clear the starter either.

Some shorty headers would probably do the trick, but you would have to fabricate a down pipe to clear starter. With all the room under the hood of your truck, you should be able to bend a down pipe to fit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey I have a 1984 GMC that I sawpped a 305 for a 95 LT1 350. I put a manual transmission in my truck and needed to put in a bigger starter now the stock LT1 heads don't fit because of the starter. I was wondering what kind of long tube heads you guys recommend. I'm not sure if any GM 350 sbc heads work because of the exhaust ports on the heads then selves thanks!
Not much mechanic shops offer the perfect exhaust you're finding, maybe try online shops?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not much mechanic shops offer the perfect exhaust you're finding, maybe try online shops?
I've been looking around and found one website I believe it was called SFX performance. I've never heard of them but they've got some for a 94-95 camrao/Pontiac LT1. I'm not sure if their is anything different from the Caprice LT1 to the Camaro LT1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It makes no difference whether the transmission is manual or automatic, both use the same starter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My guess would be the Caprice . You're gonna have to go on Google and look at every lt1 engine swap into a gmt400 and try to find one with a lt1 and see what headers they used. You can't just go buy something and hope it fits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My guess would be the Caprice . You're gonna have to go on Google and look at every lt1 engine swap into a gmt400 and try to find one with a lt1 and see what headers they used. You can't just go buy something and hope it fits.
I see. I will see what I can find
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts