LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
383 Stroker had snapped crank. Engine fixed and put back in. New clutch and resurfaced flywheel. First issue. When I first turned the key..got clicking from starter like dead battery. Next turn she fired right up and screeched like old loose belt PLUS clock reset. New belt installed. Checked terminals .battery and starter tight. I did notice it has a "groan" to it when starting. No shims before. Maybe starter to tight and it's getting stuck on first one?? Thoughts??

Next..with each release of the clutch pedal when shifting there's a shutter. Can swear the fork is on correctly. I also notice (not constant though) that the clutch pedal pulsates a bit in neutral. Again, not always. Everything torqued and looked flush. Filled trans fluid to the fill plug. Feels more clutch/flywheel related. Trabs shift with no grinding. Little help guys. Much appreciated as always.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would clean all the ground locations for the battery/starting system, and check their ends for frays and breaks. Then check the positive cables for burns or worn spots that may be grounding out.

Is that the same starter and flywheel that was on your blown crank engine, just resurfaced flywheel? On my car I noticed a "small" amount of play mounting the starter, maybe try loosening it and backing it up that fraction of an inch.

Did you use brake cleaner on the flywheel before install? My local machine shop really saturates them with WD-40 to prevent flash rust before you get it on the car.

Is the belt and accesory area where the squeal is coming from? Did you happen to get oil or grease on the pulleys during disassembly/reassembly? Are all the pulleys rotating freely and easily if you turn the motor by hand?

Shin

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No radio reset this time and started right up. Still has the quick high pitch squeal for 2 seconds. As for the wiring, a ground wire is rubbing on header half melted do that's def not good. Also for some reason my buddy ran the thick positive wire for starter and other wires in the loom that comes from battery terminal through the header and that loom is melted so that's not gonna be good. Gotta fix that stuff up. Just took her around the block a few times and little to no clutch shudder. Maybe it needs to just break in/be glazed a bit together then she's good. Sprayed the hell out if flywheel with brake cleaner. I have to have someone start it for me while under the hood . Sounds like an accessory belt squeal to me. Sprayed each thing with brake clean too cause some antifreeze got on and it's a new belt. Gotta look into it more

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I re- ran the ground and some other wires away from header. Much better fitment now too. Starts up, no clicks from starter and memory in radio holds. The starter bolts were crazy tight so I loosened and retightened normal. Still has the squeal but not 100% that's it's coming from there. The only major problem I still have is with clutch area. Pedal pulsates while engaged. Once I touch it a bit it stops pulsating. Also clutch stinks like it's not engaging fully and slipping a bit. I'm lost. This sucks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Pedal pulsates while engaged. Once I touch it a bit it stops pulsating. Also clutch stinks like it's not engaging fully and slipping a bit. I'm lost. This sucks.
If you are running down the road at fairly low speed, and floor the gas, do you get an rpm increase with no speed increase? If not, you're not slipping. The only way to find out what's going on is to pull the tranny and look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts