LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I order a EGR block off plate kit. But I'm not sure where the other 2 plates go? I know the diamond one goes on the back of the intake. But on the back of my intake where it goes it has 2 threaded studs. But the kit came with these bolts? (Pics attached) I have longtubes. I'm guessing I skipped a step.. 馃槄
(97 LT1A4)

Registered
So I order a EGR block off plate kit. But I'm not sure where the other 2 plates go? I know the diamond one goes on the back of the intake. But on the back of my intake where it goes it has 2 threaded studs. But the kit came with these bolts? (Pics attached) I have longtubes. I'm guessing I skipped a step.. 馃槄
(97 LT1A4)
Im betting those bolts match the threads of the studs. The plates are countersunk to match those pretty bolts so I would suggest removing the studs and using the supplied bolts. You can probably remove them by putting a couple nuts on the stud, tighten them together and turn the bottom nut to remove.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im betting those bolts match the threads of the studs. The plates are countersunk to match those pretty bolts so I would suggest removing the studs and using the supplied bolts. You can probably remove them by putting a couple nuts on the stud, tighten them together and turn the bottom nut to remove.
So I had to use a Esocket to remove the stud. But the supplied bolts would not tighten all the way. I used an Allen wrench and i was basically about to break it..lol.. so I took them back out and checked the threads and they looked fine so I tried again, but again it would not go all the way down. Finally I gave up and just reused the studs with the nuts and that worked.

My next problem is the EGR valve I got the nut off on the left but I can't get the one on the right to break lose at all. It's a 13mm wrench and it seems I can only use the open end part of the wrench but it keeps slipping. A socket won't fit in there either. Not sure what to do. I tried a 12mm wrench and it would not fit. So it's deff a 13mm.

Registered
You may be able to tap the threads a little deeper to allow bolts to seat. Otherwise you can grind or file the bolts a bit. Try to not get too hot. Dip in ater frequently. As gor the pezky nut, maybe use a small chisel or a bigger screwdriver to strike the lefthand side of the nut to break it loose counterclockwise.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You may be able to tap the threads a little deeper to allow bolts to seat. Otherwise you can grind or file the bolts a bit. Try to not get too hot. Dip in ater frequently. As gor the pezky nut, maybe use a small chisel or a bigger screwdriver to strike the lefthand side of the nut to break it loose counterclockwise.
Mmm.. not sure how I would manage to hit a chisel or screw driver with..anything. there's no room. Can't get a torch in there for the same reason.

Turns out my nut is completely rounded. I'm assuming since I had issues from the get go that someone at some point tried to do this and rounded it off. The nut is also different from oem. (I think, very soft compared to the others.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay well I'm annoyed. Think I read somewhere that I don't actually have to remove the EGR valve, but I have to cap a few off the lines. ???

A guy on YouTube tells me I don't have to do anything other then blocking off the EGR pipe. Which I already did.

Was thinking using a Dremel but it's such a. Tight space not sure I'll get it in there. 馃槖 Suppose I could pull the engine. 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ Nahh jk.. I'll send it to the junkyard myself. 馃槄

Registered
If only there was a wrench for the stud... I just had to put thread inserts on mine the other day to attach block off plates. so much easier with the engine out..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If only there was a wrench for the stud... I just had to put thread inserts on mine the other day to attach block off plates. so much easier with the engine out..
Haha I actually thought of that but that wouldn't work either. The stud would hit the valve before coming all the way out.

Registered
Not if the other nut is out. The untit will slide out as the stud comes loose. If you can spin it do it. Oyherwise i would remove the hood and turn nut w a chisel or punch. If you get a long punch u may be able to strike it without removing hood.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try a 6 point socket and make sure it is 1/2", because that is what the nuts are. They aren't metric.
I'll try that. Also I decided to cap the all the connections. Top of valve and side of intake. And car started and ran fine. Then I took it off and plug the vaccum lines back and car ran just fine also. 馃し So I left it plugged in.

At some point I'll try to go ahead and get it off tho with a 6 point wrench as you said. May try and get a Dremel in there dkn..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts