LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is directed to those that have cam-ed their lt1 and put a higher stall torque converter on the tranny. What kind of drivability do you have for longer trips. It goes with out saying, adding a cam and supporting mods with reduce gas mileage. I'm not worried about that, i just want to know if its a bad idea to take 2-4 hour road trips at highway speeds with a medium cam like cc503. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
494 Posts
well the cc503 no issue. the torque converter with lets say a 3500 stall should be fine as long as your not haul %$^# to the area. the cc503 is a good DD cam cause of the low end torque for driveability around town. with a 3500 stall you should have no problem on the highway, probably end up sitting at 2200 with stock gears. the only real time when a torque converter heats up is doing a brake launch or always in the throttle. so basically your fine.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3.73 gears will most likely get done. I have 4.10s in my 92 bird, big difference. Thanks for the input you guys.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You will cruise at 2800-3000rpm at 75mph with 3.73s in the rear......
How fast you figure he's gonna be driving?

I ask because those kind of RPMs is what I get with my 4.10 gears :p .

This question is directed to those that have cam-ed their lt1 and put a higher stall torque converter on the tranny. What kind of drivability do you have for longer trips.......
With a cam much bigger than the CC-503, I get my speed to 70-75 mph, flip on the cruise control and knock out 350-400 miles no problem.

With 3.73 gears and a 3000 stall TC, I'd knock out about 21 MPG with my Impala. With 4.10 gears and a 3600 TC, about 18 MPG.

They most telling factor in your gas mileage would be the quality of your tune.

KW

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now i'm raking in the info. Thanks guys. Now the hard part, saving the money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts