LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there's any help available but I'm heading out to the drag strip for my very first time. I'm running my 96 Trans am lt1 on an 1/8 mile track. The car is mostly stock bbk headers full exhaust and a performance tune. Its lowered on 275/40/17s. I'm looking for any tips or advice anyone would have to offer. thanks guys i know there's some real knowledgeable people on here and i greatly appreciate any and all help.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Auto or M6? What tires? Do you have the LCA relocation brackets? What Drag Strip?

Don't be too disappointed with your first times. Mine were horrible, I pulled down some 15's my first time out basically stock with a 5600+DA. If you're auto it should be easier to get a good launch in. Also pay attention to DA (Density Altitude, if you have a smart phone download the "Dragtimes" app, it'll do DA for you), high DA's will kill your times/traps so theirs that to deal with too.

I'm certainly not the most experienced so hopefully others with more experience will chime in. I can say it get's addicting...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My first time out with a few less bolt ons (it says what ones in SIG) I ran a 13.5 @ 100mph and second time a 13.3 @101.9. You'll be hooked right away.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Auto or M6? What tires? Do you have the LCA relocation brackets? What Drag Strip?

Don't be too disappointed with your first times. Mine were horrible, I pulled down some 15's my first time out basically stock with a 5600+DA. If you're auto it should be easier to get a good launch in. Also pay attention to DA (Density Altitude, if you have a smart phone download the "Dragtimes" app, it'll do DA for you), high DA's will kill your times/traps so theirs that to deal with too.

I'm certainly not the most experienced so hopefully others with more experience will chime in. I can say it get's addicting...
They're nexen tires not brackets that i know of and it's skyview drag strip little town NY lol it's a m6 I'm not anticipating great times as much as just seeing what my car will do. Trying to figure a good rpm to launch at without going up in smoke sideways down the track.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Nexen N3000 or N7000?

Your DA should be nice a low, that's good.

M6's are tricky to launch. You shouldn't need 4th at all so you only have to shift twice.

Best technique that works for me (I've brought my 60' time from 2.4 down to 2.1xx (hit a 2.0xx once)), is to rev it up to about 4,500/5,000 on the second yellow roll of the clutch and onto the throttle simultaneously. Your going to be full throttle faster than the clutch roll off. It smells horrible but works good for me. I'm still perfecting this, but has improved my time quite a bit.

Track prep will play a huge roll here, but you should be able to get your 60' down to 2.1xx on N3000 tires with practice, maybe even lower. If you are on the N7000 then maybe 2.1xx-2.2xx range will be your best.

I'd Expect Traps in the 101-103 range. Times are really up to how well you can launch that M6. Good Luck!

Once you get hooked on this, get your self a good set of drag radials and you'll drop your times substantially. At least that's what I'm told, and I'm working on doing my self...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Once you get hooked on this, get your self a good set of Slicks and you'll drop your times substantially.
Manuals should use slicks over radials to take advantage of the softer sidewalls which helps on dropping the clutch and shocking the tires. Fixed that for you :thumbup::D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Manuals should use slicks over radials to take advantage of the softer sidewalls which helps on dropping the clutch and shocking the tires. Fixed that for you :thumbup::D
I'd agree, but slicks tend to walk on the big end without bias ply tires up front. With DR's you can keep the street tires up front and swap tires at home instead of at the track (only 1 vehicle needed). But the slicks are easier on the drive line and our weak 7.5" 10 bolts because of the soft sidewalls.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would b careful wifh drag radials or slicks with an m6 because of our wonderful rearends

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nexen N3000 or N7000?

Your DA should be nice a low, that's good.

M6's are tricky to launch. You shouldn't need 4th at all so you only have to shift twice.

Best technique that works for me (I've brought my 60' time from 2.4 down to 2.1xx (hit a 2.0xx once)), is to rev it up to about 4,500/5,000 on the second yellow roll of the clutch and onto the throttle simultaneously. Your going to be full throttle faster than the clutch roll off. It smells horrible but works good for me. I'm still perfecting this, but has improved my time quite a bit.

ok so to be sure I'm understanding this right, at the second light jump up in rpms then just ease off the clutch while starting to bury the throttle? Yea I've heard slicks/radials are horrible on our baby guy rear ends.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Forget about the light, you are not racing for anything so trying for great RT is gonna make your launches bad if its your first time. Just launch the car when you are ready to, preferably at or right after it turns green ;)

I know nothing about manual cars other than you guys break everything behind the trans with a good launch :lol: That being said, drive around the water box if you are on street tires and just give your rear tires a quick spin to clean em off. No need for a burn out on street tires.

Other than that, enjoy it, its addicting as hell.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks shownomercy being addicted is what I'm afraid of haha feel like I'm gonna end up moving towards a drag set up vs a street cruiser it's just a test and tune so I'm gonna try a few different launches as long as the car seems to be holding up

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
ok so to be sure I'm understanding this right, at the second light jump up in rpms then just ease off the clutch while starting to bury the throttle? Yea I've heard slicks/radials are horrible on our baby guy rear ends.
Disclaimer, I am no expert and I am still learning. But, here is my experience so far.

In short no.

Don't burn out, go around the water box and only spin the tires enough to clean them off. Street tires do better cooler than DR's, but you will notice they will bite a little better after the first run or two.

After you stage at the light rev the engine to about 4500-5000 rpms (you can start lower if you want and work your way into it, some guys start at 2500rpms to feel how much bite the tires have with the track, then go up 1K rpms every time up until the find the best launching rpms, mine was about 4500-5000rpms), this will put you at part throttle (maybe 20-30% TPS).

20-30% TPS is hardly enough to launch the car hard, but is plenty to rev to 4-5K in neutral.

At the first yellow I'll let up the clutch just enough to barely take up slack in the driveline, but NOT move the car.

At the second yellow I roll of the clutch and on throttle. The throttle will out pace the clutch, but they will both be maxed out within a second or so with the throttle beating the clutch.

This'll happen quickly, it's a fine line between blowing the tires off and launching. Once the tires break loose you have to let almost all the way off again, feathering the throttle at that point does almost nothing I've noticed. You can try it though.

This is the method I've noticed works best for me on street tires. DR's and Slicks I have no experience with, but I'd imagine they involve a 5K rpm clutch dump and a broken stock rear axle, lol.

I'm sure with DR's I can apply the same technique as street tires, but hit it more aggressively.

Here's a video of how I prep for launch. In this video I was revving to 2.5-3K rpms (not enough) and came off the clutch faster than I rolled on the throttle and you can hear it bog down pretty bad. I pulled down a 2.2xx 60' in this one. Using the method I listed above I got down to a 2.1xx-2.0xx 60' range. I think I can do more consistent 2.0xx 60' times with more practice. This is on all season tires too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmV0ZhK4ThY

What I've learned is I want to keep the rpms at about 4-5K rpms while at full throttle using the clutch without breaking the tires loose. But, I'm modded and at high density altitude so your RPM's may vary for best launch.

Like ShowNoMercy said above, HAVE FUN and it is addicting. I started the same way, street bruiser and turning, and on the street I'm set up as such. But I am currently saving up for an 8.8 swap and some DR's for Friday Night Drags and Test and Tunes now.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Don't run your air conditioning either, it puts water on the track and will make others mad when they spin in your water. Drive it easy out of the hole instead of trying to get as much RPM as possible. Your tires and your car are not set up for it and all you're going to do is spin, be disappointed, and peel the glue off the track.

·
10 Second Opti Club
6,736 Posts
Just have some fun. You can try lowering the tires into the mid 20s but you don't want to change too much especially your first time out. Best bet is to practice launching, not worrying about launching or winning, and listening and feeling the tire spin so you can lightly adjust the throttle to regain traction. Post up how you do!

I'd Expect Traps in the 101-103 range. Times are really up to how well you can launch that M6. Good Luck!
He's running 1/8th mile.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Just have some fun. You can try lowering the tires into the mid 20s but you don't want to change too much especially your first time out. Best bet is to practice launching, not worrying about launching or winning, and listening and feeling the tire spin so you can lightly adjust the throttle to regain traction. Post up how you do!

He's running 1/8th mile.

Doh! Good catch. Not sure what to expect there.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Alright that was a blast! First pull ever 1.22 reaction 2.35 60' 9.67 1/8 @ 73.44 second 1.1 2.28 60' [email protected] then my last 1.08 2.24 60' [email protected]
Not too shabby for a first time out using an M6! With mods in SIG mine was a 1.84 60' 8.49 @81.45

My auto with stall and drag radials helps out a ton. I bet you can't wait for your next time out!

Xzauhst

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice ya it was awesome i should of made a couple more hits but i didn't wanna push it to hard got my ass dragged by abuddies 00ws6 with a little work

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Yeah, those LS1 powered F-Bodies move out! LOL.

Good runs and it looks like you're getting better with each launch.

You getting hooked? You'll feel the itch soon. LOL.

My track canceled Drag Night last minute last night because their equipment for track prep broke. Next Saturday It's on though....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts