LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Chris89gta
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little research I want to do but lack time... What are the differences in the major blower companies? Design etc... Thanks guys

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure of the differences. I know ATI's Prochargers are all intercooled centrifugal superchargers with their own oil supply. I have the ATI P1SC on my LT1 and love it.

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
ATI Vortec Paxton and Powerdyne all make Centrifugal superchargers. That easiest way to describe that style is a belt driven turbo charger. Eaton Whipple Kenne Bell make a Roots type blower.That style has a pair of rotors that are kind of threaded in appearance that spin and compress the air.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Are there any major internal/design differences between the like-blower companies' products? like between ATI's and Vortec's centrifugal superchargers, for example

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's a comparsion of the Vortech s-trim and ATI P-1SC, which are considered the base models, at least for the lt1:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/news/h2h.html
This was conducted by Vortech, so take it however you like. I thought the comments about the impellar design, as well as the pics, were interesting though

ATI does not agree with the manner in which the test was conducted - The compressors alone were tested, instead of the complete kits. So here is some independent testing that ATI fired back with:

http://www.procharger.com/ca_natkin_bell.shtml

Basically, what I gathered from this is that ATI has a better overall base package, which is probably due to the intercooler(s), but Vortech has a superior compressor.

IMO, if someone was looking for a base kit to bolt on and run 6-10 psi, then the ATI would be the better choice when looking at performance vs $$$. If someone were looking to spin the blower near it's max and run a decent sized aftermarket FMIC, then the Vortech seems to be a better buy, since there's more potential and better efficency with the s-trim compressor.

I have not seen any head to head comparisions of the larger size blowers from ATI and Vortech, and ATI does not publish compressor maps, so it's hard to compare the larger sizes, other than listening to what the car owners have to say about there respective setups.

Personally, I'm very happy with my s-trim. The plan was to replace one stage of my 2 stage nitrous kit with a little boost. With a 2.95 blower pulley, 7" crank pulley, and hard inlet piping to the compressor, it made approx 14 psi on my 383. I bought the s-trim used and have about $2200 into the setup, to include injectors, gauges, pulleys, and alkycontrol progressive alky injection. I decided to forge the bottem end before putting the spray back on the motor though. I found the boost just as addicting as nitrous, so I could not bring myself to put the stock pulley set back on, in order to spray and boost the old motor :D Oh well, the new forged motor will be together next year... :devil:

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
I believe ATIs are gear driven and Powerdynes use a belt. Don't quote me on that though

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
I was speaking for internals. I thought that ATIs were gear driven and where they got their distinctive sound. I know the Powerdynes have an internal belt to them

·
Registered
45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with pigpens post, very good info

A ROUGH guide to power output is

S-trim=300-425 rwhp

P-1sc=350-525 rwhp with stock intercoolers

aftercooler+S-trim=350-600rwhp

this is a rough idea and power oouput depends on cam, heads, tuning, headers and exhaust.

·
Registered
225 Posts
hands down ATI procharger has it in the bag,if were to ever have another charger it will be another one,they are light years ahead of the rest!this was stated from my experience and personal opinion
i do like vortec as well:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I've been eyeing the F-head ATI's for about a year now...

maybe in another 2-3 years I'll be able to afford one for my FI build :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Gimme a lil time and you'll have another selection to choose from. :D

·
LT1 Tech/B-Body Mod
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's going slowly but surely. They have us on 10 hours 6 days a week at work so it's hard to get any real time to work on it right now. I'll be soooo glad when I get out of that hellhole and that will be soon I hope. I'm in the process of making jigs and stuff to speed up the machining process. I hope to start machining on the new design sometime this week.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
i have an ati p1sc at 6 lbs. and it is awesome! they are gear driven and it makes power as soon as you step on it, not just in the top end like some centrifugals. plus it whines a little bit like a roots type (gotta love the sound ;) plus most of them come with intercoolers! i made around 60% more power on stock internals with my procharger. remeber also that it has its own oil which means two things... you have to change it seperately (every 6k miles, but 500 after initial install), but if your motor blows atleast you'll still have the charger left (for the next f-body!)! if i had it to do over (s/c wise) id wouldnt go with anythign else...

·
Premium Member
4,979 Posts
Gimme a lil time and you'll have another selection to choose from. :D
No offense but I wouldn't bother on a 4th Gen. Roots types are horrible with heat soak and the lay out of a 4th Gen isn't gonna help that in the least. With a lil luck hopefully I'll have snail power in a year :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts