LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go to kissimmi yesterday for a hospital visit. Was a nice long drive from Oviedo..

I didn't want to use overdrive as to not strain the tranny so much, and well, i wanted to really burn that techron through.. (it felt SO much better after that trip, less "shakes")..

But, is driving at like 3rd gear (i think it was 3rd gear), 2.2k rpm at 69ish mph on the highway all the way ok? Or should I have used overdrive to bring the rpm to 1.2k rpm..

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Shouldn't have caused a problem except for the decrease in gas mileage. You must be running a 2 series gear, right?

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know what the gearing is. What I do know is I have a 4l60 tranny from a roadmaster, and the gearing at the rear, which was never changed since when I bought the car.

It could have been in 4th gear, I honestly don't know. But I do know, 69mph, 2.2k rpm..

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, today when dropping sibblings off at school, car really felt weird. When in D idling forward at a red light, 400rpm!!

I get home, to find the IAC is REALLY screwed right now..

Guess it's time for a new IAC. This should be interesting. I've never taken the throttle body off before.

Is it possible to do without draining coolant?

·
Registered
175 Posts
not really this would be a great time to do a trottle body coolant bypass.i like to have my throttle body off 3 or 4 times a year for a through clean and chem dip.spray your new t.b gasket with pam before you reinstall and it wont stick next time you pull it off.

you dont have to drain it but be ready to loose some,hopefully not on the opti.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i would drain it just to make sure it doesnt spill on the opti. its not hard to drain, its just like a wing nut you should be able to twist off by hand.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the draining I have a hard time with. It's the putting coolant back in. I never get the bleeders right and always end up overheating the engine somehow.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
^^^ just keep bleeding it till the coolent comes out that means theres no more are in the system

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I don't know what the gearing is. What I do know is I have a 4l60 tranny from a roadmaster, and the gearing at the rear, which was never changed since when I bought the car.

It could have been in 4th gear, I honestly don't know. But I do know, 69mph, 2.2k rpm..
You should have 2 drive options, the first one being just a "D" and the other being a "D" with a circle around it. If you were in just "D" then you were in 3rd.

·
Registered
292 Posts
yea the coolant refill procedure is a PITA, i just follow the haynes directions and then bring the engine to operating temp, let cool, and then add coolant if needed. its weird because sometimes i dont have to add any coolant others i have to add a little 3-4 times.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should have 2 drive options, the first one being just a "D" and the other being a "D" with a circle around it. If you were in just "D" then you were in 3rd.
lol, I mentioned in the OP that I didn't want to use overdrive (that would be the D with the O), so I used regular. I didn't know how many gears my tranny had, never even bothered to look at the 4l60 specs..

Anyway, I did 69mph 2.2k rpm, in 3rd gear for an hour and a half both ways yesterday then...

Long nauseating trip, twisty roads those expressways are..

·
Admin
8,048 Posts
In a 700r4/4l60/4l60e both 3rd and 4th gear use the same clutch packs, but when in fourth the 2/4 band is also engaged over the low/rev drum giving you the extra gear. I personally drive in 3rd as little as possible, it still wears the clutches the same in either gear only your burning more gas/turning a higher rpm.

The tb is cake, just give yourself a few hours and def do the bypass that way if you ever take if off again you don't have to worry about the coolant.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
You won't lose much coolant if you first

Drape a few layers of terri-cloth towels over the Opti to catch and absorb any coolant that leaks down and

Have a couple of bolts (or something similar) handy to stuff into the hose(s) as you remove it/them to act as a hose plugs.

Removing and re-installing the TB isn't hard to do. I'd have a new TB gasket handy though.

Hardest part will probably be re-connecting the throttle cable, but even that isn't too hard to do. Just take a good, long look at how your cable is mounted/connected or, better still, take a photo of it.

DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE TOWELS BEFORE YOU FIRE THE ENGINE!

Hope this helps.

Jake

West Point ROCKS! Nation's TOP COLLEGE per Forbes Magazine!! Graduation Day Parade 20 May 2010!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts