LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys today I hop in my Z71 and go to drive off, and I get about 20 ft form where I was leaving and All the sudden the Engine is disconected from the rest of the drivetrain. Not literally, but It would just rev up and not supply any power to the wheels. So I rolled into a gas station and stopped and parked it and left it. Came back later to get it and started it up and the Tranny makes this god awful rattling noise like something loose in there then it quites down. The truck will engage and drive normally for about 1 minute then it disengages, its kinda like it drops into nuetral. Do you guys have any idea what this could be. The truck is a 96 Chevrolet Z71 with a 305 and auto, no idea what kind though. I suppose 4l60

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Torque Converter? The Truck has 175K miles on it I had the tranny rebuilt like 4 or 5 montha ago.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Sounds like a torque converter or you dropped a gear. I dropped 3rd gear and my car would hit 30mph and just hit neutral.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think it sounds like pump problem,pull your pan and check gaskets and bolts though.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay Guys a little more info. I don't think its a clutch pack because it even does it in reverse. I bet my gaskets and bolts are fine since it was rebuilt recently anyways. Don't know if this was linked to it, but the truck used to be really loud, drivetrain not exhaust, when it was cold and I was in first. Sometimes it would fade away when I revved out 1st and other times it would just stay loud as hell. Tranny has been acting really weird since I bought it and Im fixing it all for good, starting now.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im thinking Torque Converter. On saturday a local shop is going to diagnose it for me then Im going to work on it on sunday.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My brother has a 95 Dodge Ram with 298,000 miles on it that my mom bought when it was new. Only thing we've had to do to it besides ordinary maintenance was a set of lifter and a muffler. And it still runs strong. He drives the crap outta it to. I'm surprised it has survived this long.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts