LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now ive been debating for quite some time now about which exhaust set up im going to use. now i think i have it figured out. i want to get LTs and ORY but i want to keep the stock ccatback on. im planning on getting pacesetters and a ORY from texas speed. my question is will that bolt up to my cat back of will i need some moddifying to get it to fit right. after i get this to bolt up a little later down the road when i can get some money i want to install dual electric cut outs. my stock cat back wont block up the exhaust flow to much right? from what i hear the stock WS6 exhaust flows pretty well. but will this set up work and i want to know what you guys think of it.

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
You're probably going to need an adapter piece to adapt the 3" Y to the 2.75" catback I-pipe.

The "WS6" exhaust is nothing but a different muffler....I'd put a cutout on it if you're going to keep it.

Let me put it this way. I have the stock I pipe going into a dynomax ultraflow muffler then dual 2.5" tips. By all rights that's the least restrictive muffler on the market, right? It still costs me 11hp vs having the cutout open, dyno proven.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chris 96 WS6 said:
You're probably going to need an adapter piece to adapt the 3" Y to the 2.75" catback I-pipe.

The "WS6" exhaust is nothing but a different muffler....I'd put a cutout on it if you're going to keep it.

Let me put it this way. I have the stock I pipe going into a dynomax ultraflow muffler then dual 2.5" tips. By all rights that's the least restrictive muffler on the market, right? It still costs me 11hp vs having the cutout open, dyno proven.
Im going to use dual electric cut outs in the y-pipe to try to simulate open headers the best i can. and when i want to be quiet ill just close em up. and i think having a dual set up would work better then sticking the cut out in the I-pipe

·
Founder
7,472 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

I live in a pretty nice neighborhood, so Its great to have the cutout on a switch so I can close it up when leaving or entering the neighborhood....then once out on the main road I open it up :D

Keeps my retired neighbors (who happen to sit on the homeowner's assn. board) happy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
To be honest, if it's "stock sounding" and awesome flow, pick up a SLP Dual/Dual muffler. They are well known for flowing side by side with about any aftermarket muffler, and trust me, they are still quiet. I ran hooker LT's/ORY/SLP Dual dual on my car, and LOVED IT. I also put a cutout in the I-pipe for the track. I think for a y-pipe setup, it's one of the best catbacks you can run.

·
Registered
57 Posts
LS1Insyde said:
Im going to use dual electric cut outs in the y-pipe to try to simulate open headers the best i can. and when i want to be quiet ill just close em up. and i think having a dual set up would work better then sticking the cut out in the I-pipe

You're motor isn't making enough power to call for dual cutouts. It's gonna feel like a slug coming out of the hole with dual cutouts in the y-pipe rathre than one in the I-pipe. Trust me, it'll be plenty loud in the I-pipe, and you'd be suprised how much that little bit of extra piping helps keep your torque in usable RPM...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so just one 1 cutout in the I pipe will work best for me? i guess that makes it cheaper and if you say it will work better then its a double bonus :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Or just replace the mufffler with a MagnaFlow and keep the lowend TQ the 2.75" pipe gives made a big difference on my WS6 with long tubes.

Nate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts