LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dash pad had cracked during pot hole season and had only become worse so I decided to fix it. I started by gluing the pieces together with epoxy and then used fiber glass cloth for a backing. Finally I covered the whole thing in vinyl. What do you think

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
I think its a good idea, but I personally think the red is a little to much on the wow side.

·
Registered
352 Posts
WOW great fix. What did you use to hold the vinyl to the dash pad? I have been trying to find a way to fix mine since you can't find one that isn't broken and a new one you will have to give your left nut for

·
Registered
936 Posts
nice fix we need some step by step so we can all do this. looks great but really in your face

·
Registered
17 Posts
im doing something very similiar, looks as though my dash pad was far more cracked that urs. after pulling it out i could understand why they crack so easy. they i brittle as heeeellllllll found that out the hard way:craz28:
i layed out all the peices of my dash pad and when i say peices im mean it looked like a jig saw puzzle. epoxy plastic welded back togher which was a pain in the rear. so far i got the entire top covered in glass sanded it down was about to start mudding it then figured it would be best to back it with glass for more stength. ive taken pics of everything ive done so far. ill post once finished/

·
Registered
203 Posts
im thinkin about doin this to the back of my new to me dash pad thats mint Just because i know whats in store LoL & I itch thinkin about doin glass work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks good, the red looks a little overkill, I can't see what color your car is in the picture though, so? It might look nice in person! I'd just prefer black or something similar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm about to do the same to mine. I am curious though, go back just plain black, or get a custom piece done with a trans am or bird emblem added in? tacky, or go for it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is the best way to attach the vinyl to the pad?

·
Global Moderator
12,962 Posts
I would think contact cement would do the job well. Don't get the new safe stuff, get the old fashioned yellow, flammable, hazard to breath the vapor stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Lol will do! I'm thinking about using vinyl that looks like carbon fiber.. ideas? As far as the emblems go it sounds pretty kool to me might steal that one ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just did mine and I think it turned out pretty well. I fiberglassed the pieces back together,(make sure they are all lined up and curved correctly) then I sanded the top down with some 180 grit and bondo'd the small seams that were left. Sand again, Prime and Paint with a matte black or whatever color you want(make sure its designed for outdoor use so it won't fade in the sun.

·
Registered
129 Posts
anyone here have a template of a 1997 dashpad? mine was missing from my car when i bought it and im just going to make a carpet dashpad type cover with a vent in it for my heat,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts