LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic says, I've got a few parts on my 1997 Trans Am WS6 that just don't... Seem to make sense... She's relatively new to me (August of last year) so I'm still learning a bit about her history...

First off, she's got 1998+ Honeycomb tail lights... Personally, I'm not concerned about this at all, as I probably would've put them in myself anyway... I prefer the look to the 1997- tails... However, I'm curious if any 97's rolled off the lot like this? She's got a build date of 1997-04-07, however.

Next up, my doors... I can see into the interior through where (I think) a rubber stop should be? Is this why both my doors make so much noise?

And finally, my dash... I know the dash pad looks like hell, and has some minor cracks... But it also DOESN'T line up, is the pad from the wrong model year?! Or a Camaro instead of a Bird?... I found another one in Google images that lined up like that, but I find it hard to believe that GM sent them off the line like this!

And what the hell is that red LED in the cutout?! Local Car Audio/Alarm shop maintains there's no aftermarket system in there... So??

·
Global Moderator
13,225 Posts
Checked my 95 trans am and it has sheet metal where hole in door jam is on your car. Looked at 4th gen parts books and 94-02 body was constructed the same way. So ??? Don't know if models sold in Canada might have had something extra.

Your dash looks like pad was taken from a different year firebird as there were changes to dash & pad during 4th gen production run. It would seem GM used 3 different top panels; 93-96, 97-99, & 00-02.

Add that to the 3 or 4 different main dash units GM used.

98-02 tail light were added by someone who owned car. It's a common swap.

Led is just something that someone added.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Figured the tail lights were a swap over :) But that little "conspiracy theory" part of my brain wanted to hear "Oh yeah, some late '97's came off the line like that" :lol:

Regarding the door... Glad to know it's normal, I suppose... (The door jam has a matching striker)... Odd that it's literally "a hole" however...

As for the dash, that's an obscenely silly difference for there to be, but you're right... It's certainly a pre-97 TA dash... Sounds like I'm going to be cruising the wreckers for a later year....

As for the red LED... Any ideas?
It flashes when the ignition is off/locked... But the local car audio/alarm shop says that there's nothing aftermarket hooked up in line anywhere... Possibly a relic of a removed system? Or a relocated GM LED from the 97 dash? Forgive the ignorance here, while I'm solid with my car tech in general... F-Body's are still new to me :)
Or is this a "new post in the electronics section" territory?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts