LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the LT1 in my 97 Trans Am WS6 bored out and stroked. I also had a head and cam package put in. Initially, everything worked well with the basic tune from the shop. Then the starter sounded as if it were hesistant to move, then it went completely. I got it replaced at the GM dealership and a few weeks later it went again. I've also noticed that my exhaust is a little more smoky than usual but I don't have cats so I assumed it was that. Am I dealing with a timing issue or do I need to upgrade to a stonger starter with higher ft. lbs. of torque? How do I know? What are my options?

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Did the dealer put a brand new started or a rebuilt one on your car. If new, you do have a problem, if rebuilt, you could have been given defective starters. It's very common now a days.

Dealer should have checked ring gear on flywheel or flexplate for damage, and shimmed the starter, if necessary.

If you want some extra grunt in the starter, try the corvette starter.

Sometimes the battery cables and their connection can cause starter problems. Any corrosion where negative cable grounds, or acid at battery end. Battery acid will actually move through the copper strands of the cable itself. This will cause corrosion, thus increasing resistance in the cable. With the end result of lowing voltage and amps available to starter.

GM puts pretty small diameter cables from factory, 4 gauge. Upgrade to 2 gauge or 0 gauge would be even better. This is one place where "bigger is better".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm actually on my fourth starter in so many months. They've all been remanufactured. They put a small shim on the last one but it still only took a week or two before it started hesistating. They did check the ring gear for damage and none was found. Can timing not be the issue?

·
Registered
31 Posts
buy a high torque starter and don't buy a cheap one like I did im on my third stater, sound like we have the same problem, I also have a 383 strocker cam, heads, you name it I got it im thinking of a msd starter or a power master. I bought a summit brand high torque and im guessing the heat from the headers fried it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts