LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the crank shaft seal out 2 times and put a new sleeve on and it still leaks when I drive it but idling it won't leak what could it be ?

·
Global Moderator
13,347 Posts
Are you sure that leak is coming from crank seal and not somewhere above it. If you changed front crank seal, and you drive a car equipped with a lt1 engine, there are 2 more seals on timing cover besides crank seal.

You should always state what year, make, model, engine, trans, your car is. It will help us to answer your questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its a 96 trans am lt1 4 speed and the shop said it was that seal!!! so they changed it twice and it still leaks when its under pressure.. could it be the other seals thats leaking a lot of oil?

·
Global Moderator
13,347 Posts
The optispark oil seal & the water pump shaft oil seal are both known to leak. Have the shop do those 2 oil seals also. If any of the oil seals were installed incorrectly, a new seal can leak.

Also the water pump shaft coupling can get a groove worn on it that can leak with a new seal. The wp shaft coupling is a next to impossible part to find new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok after the seal got changed it dont leak while it idle it just leaks when you drive it....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just had then same problem, it only leaked under pressure from the opti seal. Replaced distributor and it just started leaking. Replaced that seal 2-3 times. Listening to others check, this check that, might be another seal...NO. Lifted the car and watched oil find its way out around the opti seal area only. I figured the seal was not tight with distributor well that was not the case. I pulled the seal one last time and there was a small puddle of oil under seal where it seats on the timing cover, figured it’s only one way oils get there; not mounted flush. Found out it was not all the way on but it Damn sure seemed like it was. New seal is slightly recessed with the timing cover and oil leaks is no more. Just a thought and best of luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts