LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

so i recently finished doing my cam and valvetrain swap, car seems to run ok idles a little high in park and in drive idle bounces a little but other than that not much issue. My concern is i drove it around for maybe a total of 5 miles since the swap, start it and let it idle here and there sometimes and decided to check the oil and it looks like it is getting some coolant. I immediately thought head gasket but have no smell no smoke and i did the combustion test and the tester fluid stayed blue. Also did a compression test and all cylinders were around the same psi. Any other possible causes before i take the motor apart once again? Other mods that have been done pertaining to anything with the coolant or radiator are trans cooler and ac/ ac condenser delete. Rad fans also will not come on if that info helps too lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
What exactly does the oil look like? Any pics?
Does your firebird have an integral engine oil cooler in the radiator? Not many opportunity's on an LT1 for coolant to get in the oil since the intake is dry.

Also, If deleting the trans cooler in radiator means that there's no trans cooler at all, that would be unrelated but concerning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so its an OEM radiator, oil is slightly milky but if i pop the valve cover i can see a little coolant. Also, i have an external trans cooler sorry i worded it wrong i guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Other than spilling coolant into the engine somewhere during the cam swap, the only things I can think of at the moment is the head gaskets, cracked head or block (pretty unlikely), or a leak in the radiator allowing the two to mix.
One option is to rent a coolant pressure tester from the Autozone, it pressures the entire system (cold!) and will reveal any leaks. It also has a pressure gauge so you can see the pressure leave the system even if you can't physically see the leak. That would tell you if there's an active coolant leak anywhere, or if the oil just got contaminated during your cam and valvetrain work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts