LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1995 pontiac trans am. i want to change the 4l60e to a standard. I have two transmissions, one is a muncy 4 speed and some for three speed off a ford with a universal Chevy bell housing mount. Neither of which have bell housings. What kind of bell housing and slave cylinder do I need? Anything will help thanx!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Why do you want to take a step backwards. Using a 4 speed or trying to adapt a trans from a ford is not the answer.

That muncie 4 speed should bring you enough money to buy a six speed t-56 and the clutch, pedals, flywheel, clutch hydraulics you need.

Put your trans on craigslist or take it to an old car swap meet.

Look for a t-56 and other swap parts on craigslist.

You are probably going to have to swap rear ends also as most automatic 4th gens came with 2.73 gears. Way to tall for a manual trans.

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Manual transmissions don't work well with gear ratios of 2.73 and the like. That is why the minimum gear ratio a manual comes with is 3.23 and many come with 3.42 gear ratios.

Plus if I'm not mistaken the t-56 6-speed has a steeper overdrive ratio than a 4l60e. 6th gear in 94-97 lt1 f-body is 0.50

Some 93's came with t-56 and a 2.73 rear end, but had a much lower first gear than later t-56. Must not have worked out too well as it was only offered in 93.

4l60e comes with 0.70 4th gear ratio, so going with a t-56 with say a 3.23 rear gear ratio will not hurt your top speed. 3.42 ratio wouldn't hurt much.

Besides, where can you drive 162mph?

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
When searching craigslist, branch out from your local area as far as your willing to drive. I know you young folks want it yesterday, but being patient will get your reward. Search craigslist everyday as people add new items everyday.

And list your muncie 4 speed in a larger city, you should be able to sell it at a good price.

Finally if you can't find what you want on craigslist, try this salvage yard search engine. You can search your state, region, or the whole country for your t-56 and related parts. These yards ship parts nation wide every day. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

·
Global Moderator
13,431 Posts
Search tempest is a search engine that makes searching craigslist much easier. Instead of having to do a separate search on every city in craigslist, search tempest lets you do 1 search and it will post up the results for all the cities in your distance range. Use the direct results mode.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey thanks guys for everything search tempest helped and the instructions you sent me helped a lot. You guys know your stuff I appreciate. I get on here later on and let you know how I made out with everything

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
107 Posts
Another quick note that you can use as a quick reference......go onto hawks third gen .com ,and look at the manual trans section for our f body's and they sell a conversion kit with all the parts needed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts