LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've converted my '95 lt1 to a carb and distributor. I purchased the GMPP intake to accomplish this. A question I have is can I just plug the (water) lines and any others that exit the back of the heads? What issues if any should I expect to encounter in doing so? (It appears that the water line went to the now deleted throttle body). I sure don't want to mess up the "heads first" cooling system of the lt1.

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
The steam pipes are essential for the LT1 because of it's reverse cooling system. This system is why a LT1 can run 10.5 to 1 compression ratio on pump gas. Not having the steam pipes can actually cause a melted piston, especially on back cylinders.

· Premium Member
13,697 Posts
People convert to a carb for 2 reasons. 1st, a carb is much simpler than fuel injection.

2nd, the carb intake manifold is setup to take a sbc distributor. That gets rid of the troublesome optispark distributor.

You actually decrease horse power by using the carb & sbc distributor. If you want to keep the 275 - 300 hp of a stock injected LT1, you'll have to increase compression & go to a hotter cam with better springs and full roller rockers.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People convert to a carb for 2 reasons. 1st, a carb is much simpler than fuel injection.

2nd, the carb intake manifold is setup to take a sbc distributor. That gets rid of the troublesome optispark distributor.

You actually decrease horse power by using the carb & sbc distributor. If you want to keep the 275 - 300 hp of a stock injected LT1, you'll have to increase compression & go to a hotter cam with better springs and full roller rockers.
Your two reasons are exactly why I'm making the change. Approaching 69 years of age...worked at a Texaco station when I was in high school...the beginning of being a "motor head." I don't have the knowledge or more of a factor the electronic equipment to get my lt1 running and keep it so. I do understand a naturally aspirated engine.
For those who say a carb is a dinosaur, you best be looking over your shoulders! We'll ALL be listening to our rides "hum" before long!!!

· Registered
1934 Corvette
17 Posts

It almost seems worth it for a carburetor. I’m getting at my wits end on solving my no start condition. I must say that when my ‘95 Corvette motor ran it was a smooth jewel. I’ll press on for now.

· Registered
1934 Corvette
17 Posts
By the way, TorqueHead.com has a desirable set up to turn the OBD1 to a Generation 3 OBDll. New computer, upgrade on the Opti, individual coil packs. About $2500. If I knew it would solve my problem I’d do it. Check it out.

· Registered
1934 Corvette
17 Posts
I’m reasonably sure I found the problem with the no start issue. I kept thinking to myself that when the engine spins over choppy instead of smooth that it sounded like it was out of time.
I put the #1 piston at TDC. I pulled out my new Opti to see where the Rotor was pointing. It is aimed at #4 distributor point. Since the rotor cannot be indexed correctly, I’m stuck. It is not enough to align the camshaft pin with the slot on the distributor. That part is easy enough to get seated without trying to draw it in with the bolts.
My advice is to compare the old (I tossed mine in the trash long ago) to the new Opti to see if the rotor is pointing the same direction.
I’ve ordered a new Opti.……………………to be continued.

· Registered
1934 Corvette
17 Posts
Still working on this run 10 minutes then stop issue. With the money I’ve spent over the last 10 months, I should have gone to a carburetor. I keep feeling I’m just around the corner solving the problem . Ugh.

· Registered
1934 Corvette
17 Posts
Only modification is relocating the ICM. All stock. New stand alone wiring harness. My “Corvette Truck” has been off the road since last February. I transplanted a 1995 Base corvette motor (VIN P) & 6 speed ZF manual into the truck pictured to the left. The engine ran like a champ for about 4,000 miles until this run/stop issue surfaced.
i bought a scanner, but it has a problem as well “data link error”.
Now I’m considering a carburetor conversion. Probably another $1100 to make that change. In all the threads I‘ve
Tire Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

read on this issue, no one has solved this problem. If they have they did not bother to update the thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts