LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin told me he heard of people with LT1's converting the optispark ignition to a coil pack system. Anyone ever hear of this and how much does it cost? Is it a better route then replacing the opti?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this worth it or just replace the opti?

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts

·
Member of over 500HP club
545 Posts
Not that difficult. I did it because I don't like the odds of the opti holding up to the stress of 7200-7500 RPM. Rotors have been known to detonate with explosive results. This is the LTCC with a custom opti cover before the rebuild. It's getting prettier.

·
Yo!
8,172 Posts
I would do the whole coil pack if i wa a hardcore dragster...but seen that i am not i would stick with the opti.

But the thing i like about coil pack is that each one is firing at one cylinder.... yeah....

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
when/if my opti goes out im swapping to coil packs for sure! i think the coil pack swap is better for modded cars for better tuning

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now im sitting the fence. how much does the coil pack swap cost in comparison to a new opti and is it a pina to istall?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i think the kit is 500$? then you have to buy/find the 8 coil packs and an LS1computer i believe which i'm sure can be found at a local auto junk yard

·
Member of over 500HP club
545 Posts
The kit including the LTCC and the harness is $399.00 and the coils and brackets can be found on flea bay for aorund $200.00. Just search for LS1 coil packs. It's designed for the LT1 computer. You'll need to make a set of plug wires. The "roll your own" Taylors are about $75.00. The cool factor..........PRICELESS. No more opti water torture trials, wash your engine with a high pressure hose if you want and it's extremely reliable. I'm also getting the LTCC for my hydraulic roller LT1 in the Impala. I've got one on my solid roller that's going in the old vette. I like it and am a fan.:D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think im just going to replace the opti. Is the MSD opti worth it over the GM one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts