LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey do you guys think a cam kit for 1300 from AI or an LE1 package for 1200 is the better deal? im thinkin they will be close money wise all said and done but i like the fact that LE gets re-machined valve stuff and springs installed and can upgrade to pac springs for a resonable price.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I believe LE is a better deal, that is if LE is Lloyd Eliott. I suggest for
future posts that you give a little more detail and dont abbreviate
so much. I feel like I am encripting a secret message! ed

·
Banned
489 Posts
Don't overlook TPIS.

TPIS has a 400hp package thats more just heads and cam but is 50 state legal. It around $2k but has a lot of parts. TPIS boasts someting like 19"Hg vac too. U have to look in their download catalog - its not on their w/s.

cardo

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I didn't do enough research for AI but the fact that I can get my heads and cam from LE for around $2300 (not ported stock heads, the trick flow ones I think) and get around 400rwhp through an automatic is just simply unbeatable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i was thinkin frshened up heads and a custom cam for just a little more than AI's cam kit. although their kit is pretty good. it even has the gaskets for the motor. basically just a timing set and lifters and your good.

·
Banned
489 Posts
well i cant find the stuff you mentioned but it must exist because they themselves mention it.

Okay here's a cut and paste from TPIS catalog. I was off in pricing though but it includes a lot more parts than just heads and cam.

TPIS 50 STATE LEGAL 400 HP KITS
How about 400 HP without taking the engine out? We have a 400 HP Kit for the LT1 cars that
is legal in all 50 States! Each kit includes:

- TPIS ZZ-9 Camshaft
- TPIS 52MM Throttle Body
- TPIS Head Gaskets
- TPIS/Taylor Spark Plug Wire Set
- TPIS Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
- TPIS Coated Headers
- Complete Exhaust System
- TPIS Air FIlter
- TPIS CNC Ported Cylinder Heads
- Custom Reprogrammed PCM or PROM
- MSD 6AL Ignition System

APPLICATION P/N PRICE
9.FSL100 50 State Legal LT1 Kit,$4500.00

cardo:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Go with the LE package, best bang for the buck. You will need supporting mods to accomodate but will still be cheaper than the TPIS stuff. AI makes some really good stuff too but a bit more pricey than Lloyd's stuff. Lloyd has fantastic customer service as well.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought the AI cam kit last year and now that it is time to purchase heads I am going LE. If I could go back, i would of bought a complete LE kit. AI's heads are more expensive.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
Okay here's a cut and paste from TPIS catalog. I was off in pricing though but it includes a lot more parts than just heads and cam.

How about 400 HP without taking the engine out? We have a 400 HP Kit for the LT1 cars that

- TPIS ZZ-9 Camshaft
- TPIS Head Gaskets
- TPIS Coated Headers
- TPIS Air FIlter

APPLICATION P/N PRICE

That cam is barely a hot cam, and I would be more than willing to bet those are fly wheel numbers, not the rear wheel that AI/LE advertise.

I went with a set of LE2s on my first build, they took my car to [email protected] and there is a set of max effort stockers done by LE on the current build.

I think because LE stuff is cheaper, it gets assembled onto cars that are not completely set up for race track use and the times are not as impressive as the AI stuff.

But, I strongly dislike the AI people, and their nuthuggers.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thing about the AI cam package is its cheaper than buying the parts separate.

400 cam.
300 rockers.
100 pushrods.
50 rocker studs.
30 guideplates.
+100 springs.
55 spring locators.
----------------------------
Thats 1035 without even adding in other parts that are included.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why would you pay $400 for a cam when Lloyd can grind you one for $300?
Why would you spend $300 when you can get a nice used shelf cam for half that?
Any why can't anyone spell Lloyd?!?!

·
Registered
128 Posts
LE2 heads are comparable to AI 190cc heads.
LE3 heads are comparable to AI 200cc heads.

LE2 is 1300. AI 190cc is 1450.
LE3 is 1600. AI 200cc is 1750.

Both heads are assembled with springs for .650" lift.

Head flow isn't everything when it comes to heads. A head that can flow more CFM isn't better if the velocity is horrible.

·
Whistles go Whoooooooooo
16,470 Posts
LE2 heads are comparable to AI 190cc heads.
LE3 heads are comparable to AI 200cc heads.

LE2 is 1300. AI 190cc is 1450.
LE3 is 1600. AI 200cc is 1750.

Both heads are assembled with springs for .650" lift.

Head flow isn't everything when it comes to heads. A head that can flow more CFM isn't better if the velocity is horrible.
Depends on the application, a race car that will launch off brake and never see below 4k rpm, port velocity is not as important as a street car that will see stop and go.

But, 99 out of a 100 times, you are right :p Just wanted to add

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
489 Posts
Swirl too.

Swirl (related to high velocity) plays a major part also but this seems very painful for many on the camaro forums. And i don't know why since head porters have had a flow bench device to measure swirl since the '80s. The L98 then the LT1 were the first high velocity, high swirl heads by GM that i know of and continues in all the newer production heads. And the story to this is many times a head with lower flow numbers but higher velocity and swirl will make more power - take it for what its worth. But the first thing head porters do it seems is hog out the intake port another 10cc - and usually on the wrong side of runner.:eek:
Ok, i've never ported heads before so i'll shut up. But if u read enough on head porting u will have to face the truth.

cardo

·
Registered
1,849 Posts

- TPIS ZZ-9 Camshaft
- TPIS Head Gaskets
- TPIS Coated Headers
- TPIS Air FIlter

APPLICATION P/N PRICE

That is an absolutely Fing HORRIBLE deal. That kit is made for idiots, just like the Edelbrock kit. Just get an LE1 kit with the 223/230 emissions friendly cam and blow that kit and the Edelbrock kit out of the water for 1/4 the money.

·
Banned
489 Posts
Makes it easy for the novice enthusiest.

I wouldn't call it a good dead either - at least $500 too much when i did the math. But it gives u a proven combo with good street manners - sometimes thats all a owner wants.
Not trying to defend the pricing - just showing there's more out there than whats from LE or AI or Edelbrock. And i kind'a like TPIS products too - they made a mini-Ram intake that GM stole for the LT1. I think they know a lot 'bout the LT1 and its modifications.:LS1LT1flag:

cardo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts