LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am planning on getting a new intake for my 98' 3.8L V6 Fireibird. While I was browsing online on various sites, I found that there is a Short Ram intake and also a Cold air intake. I am not sure which one would be better. Any advice would help.

Thanks guys,
PBendel

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So is there an advantage to getting the short ram? It seems to be more expensive? Would it sound better than the cold air?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
the real advantage to the short ram intake is sound. they sound really cool when you rev them out.. they're also easier to install

the cold air intake will always make more power assuming they both flow sufficiently, unless your engine bay is unnaturally cold.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, well I am planning on getting a magnaflow Catback for my firebird and I also was hoping to get the intake. I am looking for both better performance and at the same time i am hoping to improve the sound of the engine. Will the cold air help improve the sound more or less than the short ram?

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
like i said short ram will sound 'neater', but you're going to be getting much warmer air than even the stock airbox gives you

just get a cai

there's a reason nobody really runs short rams

·
Less than 8 cylinder Moderator
4,979 Posts
The cold air kits will make more noise as well. I'd switch to the 99+ set up and get an aftermarket lid. I've seen it done on a few 98s

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so is there a certain set up you would recommend. I don't wanna spend over 300-350 bucks. I want as much bang for my buck as I can get. Any sites also?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
1 - 11 of 11 Posts