LS1LT1 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

So I noticed there is a leak in my CAI so I bought a new elbow and appears to be identical except for one thing. The bottom piece that the long vertical tube attaches to is sealed off. The original has it flowing freely. So, have they since sealed it off for performance/dont need it? Or did the manufacturer goof and seal it off when it is supposed to be open? Im assuming this may effect MAP readings. Any help would be appreciated. Ive attached the new one and the old one if it helps clear things up.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pretty sure it's just a silencer tube and not really needed. Years ago it popped off of my stock elbow. I did not know this at first. The car would stall and not stay running. For whatever reason I unplug the MAF and it stayed running. I spent over 300 bucks on a Granatelli and of course that was not the problem. Long story short, it is not needed and does not kick any codes. If you have the hole you need to use the tube because the car will suck in air at the hole and not go through the MAF. This will take you to the problem I had.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes it's a silencer tube. On my old 1994 formula it had this. I cut out a piece of wood to perfectly fit the opening and clamped it in place and it worked like a charm. I also bypassed the throttle body with the coolant hoses and took the screen out of the mass air flow sensor. I noticed a huge difference when I bypassed the throttle body, very crisp throttle response. Try it, you wont regret it. Plus its easy and just about free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes it's a silencer tube. On my old 1994 formula it had this. I cut out a piece of wood to perfectly fit the opening and clamped it in place and it worked like a charm. I also bypassed the throttle body with the coolant hoses and took the screen out of the mass air flow sensor. I noticed a huge difference when I bypassed the throttle body, very crisp throttle response. Try it, you wont regret it. Plus its easy and just about free.
We'll be working on a Formula project soon after we finished installing the shocks from 4Wheelonline onto the current Ram project. We'll definitely that wood trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts