LS1LT1 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,240 Posts
I used their cleaner. For $12 I couldn't find any reason not to. I recently bought my 94 z28. It has 170k miles on the clock so when it was put in or cleaned last, who knows. Although my filter didn't go back to being the new red, it was definitely not pure black anymore. The red is just the oil anyway. It was more of a washed out pink. I couldn't believe the amount of dirt chunks that came out of there. Would I order a new one next time? Probably. But I have different plans for the car. Its worth the money for their cleaner IMO.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

· Registered
2,272 Posts
What else have you used to clean a K&N filter besides their cleaner?
Nothing.....I only use their cleaner.

You clean it in any way other than what's recommended and you risk damaging the filter....and you'll definately void the warranty.

KW

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
a tiny bit of dish soap in a bucket of water, just soak it a bit.

we've cleaned a thousand k&n filters of every shape and size that way at work

i've heard heavily diluted laundry detergent works ok too. it is, after all, just cloth

'dont dry it with compressed air' is crap too, just hold the nozzle back a foot or so

just my opinion though, use at your own risk.....

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Dawn dishwashing liquid soak in bucket of water shake out and air dry. Reoil and done. Found a spray on Air filter lube for motorcycles works perfect.

If you live in an area where sandstorms are prevalent you can purchase a foam prefilter to cover the K&N or use pantyhose. This extends the life of the engines rings and the K&N filter.

· Premium Member
5,008 Posts
Found a spray on Air filter lube for motorcycles works perfect.
yeah, it does work well, but you have to be absolutely sure it does not contain any silicone additives.

bikes that have foam or fabric filters usually have carbs or fixed map FI, and dont have oxygen sensors, and silicone and o2 sensors hate each other.

i work at a bike shop and there are several filter oils that wouldn't be 'o2 safe'...

· Registered
753 Posts
All of this to save $12? The kit lasts you many cleanings and then you won't wreck a $50 filter

· Registered
5 Posts
What else have you used to clean a K&N filter besides their cleaner?
I would suggest trying steam cleaning as it does a great job with this. You can follow the basic instructions from the material Car steam cleaning process | What is car steam clean? where the car steam cleaning process is described - steam penetrates perfectly into the fibers and pushes dirt out of there, you can also use a steam cleaner with an extractor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts